Fake Prosseco recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony1951

Bungling Amateur
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, Lampie and Drewlincs and others had a thread about a prosseco type drink made with the following recipe:

Lampie said:
The recipe I got from a collegue for 5 liter is:

1.5 liter applejuice
0.5 liter red grape juice
2 liter water
400 gram sugar
fruity white wine yeast

I fancy trying this because they and others said it came out very well.

Could I get away with a cider yeast like Gervin GV13? The alcohol levels aren't likely to be that high as far as I can tell - maybe I'm wrong there... Little experience here of wine / cider brewing and that is 40 years ago with horrible results to be honest, but I think we were using baker's yeast back then.

Also - I should think I can bottle this in flip top beer bottles - yeah?

Thanks for your advice and opinions.

I think it will be around 6.5%.

I make RGJ and Apple juice wine (1 litre of each) often and it tastes great, i cannot see ant problem in using beer bottles.

I make RGJ and Apple juice wine (1 litre of each) often and it tastes great, i cannot see ant problem in using beer bottles.

Great - thanks Chippy. What do you think of the GV13 cider yeast? I carelessly tagged that onto an order from the HB Company, and then on reading the recipe I spotted that the recommended yeast was a fruity white wine yeast.

Will the alcohol content be too high for a cider yeast?

Thanks

I only use youngs super wine yeast compound so couldn't tell you if it is up to the job, as for the bottles i don't see why not.

Cider yeast I think brings out a little more fruit flavour if you have real fruit in the recipe and does work well. I'd be interested in how it pans out in a prosacco clone.

Cider yeast I think brings out a little more fruit flavour if you have real fruit in the recipe and does work well. I'd be interested in how it pans out in a prosacco clone.

Thanks. I'll get along to the supermarket and try and find the makings.....

I'll probably make it in a beer fermenter as I dumped my old demijohns years ago, and threw out more a couple of years back when I cleared out my dad's old place.

If you have the funds than I would chuck in a couple of pound of apple blitzed up in a food processor and strain them out after a week or so through some muslin.

A

If you have the funds than I would chuck in a couple of pound of apple blitzed up in a food processor and strain them out after a week or so through some muslin.

A
The number of apples that get chucked out in this house is a travesty. They are always wrinkling up in the fruit bowl and getting put in the bin. Might as well put them in the 'wine' before they go off instead.

Would that alter the character of the 'Prosseco'? There was some interest in that around here, whereas if I'd said 'cider', maybe not so much. I'm a wee bit suspicious of 'sugar wine', mind. Like putting sugar in beer it isn't the best way.

It will alter the character but not too much it will just give it a little more body and chewiness, I think good Prosecco has a crisp apple edge to it so a pound for a first try would be a nice addition.

A

te

A

I used apple pulp as a fruity enhancement in a first attempt at a juice cider ( a pound of apples in 9 litres) and it has been about nine days since I started it off. Just remembered this post about straining the cider off the pulp at about a week or so. What would happen if I left the pulp there for a full fortnight and just racked it off at bottling time?

I have a tendency to leave stuff well alone in the FV and it has served me well for beer making. Can I just leave the pulp a few more days, or will it ruin my cider?

Thanks for any advice you can come up with.

There's no harm leaving it in a bit longer but there can be the risk it starts to make the wine go a little putrid (that would take weeks/months to get that far though). However if you are only talking for a couple of weeks you should be okay. The balance of flavour extracted might be different, could be better or worse. I don't think you will get anything undrinkable for giving it the extra time though.

Cheers

A

There's no harm leaving it in a bit longer but there can be the risk it starts to make the wine go a little putrid (that would take weeks/months to get that far though). However if you are only talking for a couple of weeks you should be okay. The balance of flavour extracted might be different, could be better or worse. I don't think you will get anything undrinkable for giving it the extra time though.

Cheers

A

Thanks for the really quick response Andy. It's like having an expert on tap! :)

I decided to go with a simple cider rather than the proseco idea for my first try. I'm only expecting to ferment for two weeks so probably no chance of the pulp rotting in there. I expect the ABV to be about 6.5 to 7% as the OG was about 1050. It depends how far it goes down. I haven't touched it or taken any hydrometer readings since the start. These things are best left IMHO.... Less meddling, less chance of infection. I've just smelled it a few times and it smells ok. I will take a sample next THursday which I think is a fortnight and if it is down about .995 I will rack it off and bottle it with about 5gm/l of sugar which should introduce a pleasant level of carbonation.

Cheers Andy - I appreciate your input.

Brew on :party:

Prosecco 1
Original, exactly as per original recipe:
1.5 litre apple juice
0.5 litre red grape juice
2 litre water
400 gram sugar
fruity white wine yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122 2.5g)
SG 1.062

Prosecco 2
As per the tweaked version from recipe:
1.5 litre apple juice
0.5 litre red grape juice
2 litre water
800 gram sugar
1tsp glycerol
1tsp tannin
1tsp yeast nutrient
fruity white wine yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122 2.5g)
SG 1.094

Juice used:
Juice Small.jpg

Both 'not from concentrate' but regrettably, the apple juice was cloudy :sad:

Not looking much like a Prosecco atm to me, maybe a fizzy Rose on the cards:
Prosecco Small.jpg

I'll post the outcome a few weeks down the road :cheers:

Looks lovely Bill. Great to do a side by side experiment too.

Looking forward to your updates on how they compare, and how prosecco like they are.

Racked them today, bit later than expected (5 weeks). They look like pink mud :eek:

PinkMud.jpg

Prosecco 1 started off quick & quietly, no blow outs, just trundled along and finished up at 0.988 which makes ~9.71% ABV

Prosecco 2 went off like a banger with a few blow outs. Very noticeable 'lava lamp' effect inside the demi, very active. Finished up at 0.985 which makes ~14.31% ABV

Both taste fine, dry/fruity, no hint of alcohol, yeast or twang. Just a pity they look like ****, wife not impressed :sulk:

Not sure what to do with them at this stage, look like they'll never clear. I racked them both onto a crushed Campden tablet and purged bottles with CO2, so they'll keep a while...

Anybody else trying this, might be an idea to use clear white grape juice and clear apple juice too.

If you can get hold of some KwiK Clear i will be surprised if it wont clear it, i have had some awfully cloudy wines in the past and it has always worked.

I made a cider with cloudy apple juice. That hasn't cleared at all either. It tastes a bit thin, but is 7%. Won't do it again. 'Nuff said.

Latest posts

Back