New shiny pots

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pots have arrived!

Next thoughts are do I fit electric elements or use gas, anyone have pros/cons from experience of using either?

Pots have arrived!

Next thoughts are do I fit electric elements or use gas, anyone have pros/cons from experience of using either?
I have 3 of these bergman 50L pots - fitted elements in mine - easy job with the right size q-max hole punch. I use 2.4kw elements you can find kits on various sites with the weldless fittings included or follow the many you-tube DIY approaches of ripping tesco value kettles to bits - the kits are a much neater job and safer imo.

2.4kw is the MINIMUM for a 5 gal brew length - some people fit 2 to speed things up, but you need to be careful with load on your domestic ring main if you do this. Wrapping the kettle in foil bubble wrap helps avoid heat loss and helps with a single element. I use 1 element per pot in BK and HLT. I am currently fitting a herms coil to the HLT to help with mashing in the 3rd pot.

Cheers,
Laurece.

Bergland24 is ebay, isn't it? Assuming it is, I'm trying to find the store on co.uk but I'm doing something wrong!! Can someone provide a link please? I fancy staring at some shiny things :-P :cheers:

Hi Laurece,

Thanks for the tips. Me preference was electric as will be brewing in the garage and will need slightly less ventilation.

My brother in-law has all the cutting and welding gear I'll need, just need to pick up some elements.

Mark

Bergland24 is ebay, isn't it? Assuming it is, I'm trying to find the store on co.uk but I'm doing something wrong!! Can someone provide a link please? I fancy staring at some shiny things :-P :cheers:

Hi,

They do have ebay pages on the .DE and maybe .FR ebay sites but it was cheaper to contact them directly, they gave me a fixed price+ postage for the pots.

Mark

Would you mind DMing me their e-mail and if it's not too cheeky a request, what they cost? I'm looking to get 2 x 33l pots and a 30l-ish thermopot in the new year, and whilst I'd ideally support the UK shops if there's going to be a ridiculous price difference I'll go with Bergland.

Would you mind DMing me their e-mail and if it's not too cheeky a request, what they cost? I'm looking to get 2 x 33l pots and a 30l-ish thermopot in the new year, and whilst I'd ideally support the UK shops if there's going to be a ridiculous price difference I'll go with Bergland.

Check out Rob at The Malt Miller for comparison . I paid 88 quid for a 50L SS pot with hop filter and tap.
I use gas in my well ventilated shed. 32L to mash temp in approx 25 mins, though you do end up with a sooty bottom....:lol:

DM'd you, anything else just ask

Hi Laurece,

Thanks for the tips. Me preference was electric as will be brewing in the garage and will need slightly less ventilation.

My brother in-law has all the cutting and welding gear I'll need, just need to pick up some elements.

Mark

No need to weld anything - if you get a kit the elements are weld-less. Even if you go the tesco value kettle route you re-use the same seals and nuts as they use on the plastic kettles. The Q-max cutters make a perfect hole without use of blow torches etc.

2 x 33l Pots and 1 x 20.5l thermopot ordered. Looking about 60% of the price I'd have paid over here. God bless the EU.

I've just looked at the box my pot from Malt Miller came in, guess what ? It's from Bergland ! So it looks like you've just cut out the middle man....
When I was looking MM recommended buying them direct from Germany, I guess this is where he meant...

I tried to order directly from them about 12 months ago and they told me they could not accept orders from the UK anymore... I take it that has changed again?

What sort of cost are you looking at for a 32L thermopot? I might move from BIAB to a three vessel set up if the price is right!

Back