Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tried it myself, would have to be careful as minikegs won't take large psi before deforming from what I have read.

I did read somewhere on tinterweb you could use the party star tap, pop the minikeg on its side and rock it gently while injecting some CO2 (go steady) into the beer - the hole for the CO2 inlet is near the top of the downpipe on one side.

I will let someone else try this for fear of making a mess !

Apologies if this has already been covered but does the drawtube thingymijig (technical term) not draw up the yeast/trub?

similarly to spapro I have'nt found it draw up yeast except for a very small amount when near the end of the keg and it seems to settle to the bottom of the pint glass. I used S0-4 on my mini kegs

Have got a John Bull IPA in my mini kegs, anyone any advice on how long to leave before tapping them? Also got three bottles out the batch so will try them first before the kegs. Just wondering if the kegs will take longer to come good than the bottles.

Trying to upload a picture but not havong much success, anybody or am i just too stupid ;) ?

DSC_0514.jpg

Just primed 4 minikegs worth of wheat beer. A kit that I'd forgotten I had. 13g priming sugar and this time I dissolved it in water so fingers crossed I get a nicely carbed pint or two this time :)

Has anyone tried carbonating without priming?

Not sure if I've misunderstood you but you need to prime the keg for secondary fermentation otherwise it tastes just like it came straight out of the FV, as I found out at my own expense :-( no amount of carbing with the party star could save it

Not sure if I've misunderstood you but you need to prime the keg for secondary fermentation otherwise it tastes just like it came straight out of the FV, as I found out at my own expense :-( no amount of carbing with the party star could save it

I have a full keg system and to quick carb a keg we inject CO2 for around 15 minutes by continuously shaking the keg. Chilled beer absorbs CO2 far easier so I was wondering would it work with these ie. inject a CO2 bulb shake for 15 minutes, inject another CO2 bulb shake for 15 etc. Keep checking for the amount of fizz.

There's probably not enough CO2 in these bulbs to fully carb a beer but I was just wondering.

I have a full keg system and to quick carb a keg we inject CO2 for around 15 minutes by continuously shaking the keg. Chilled beer absorbs CO2 far easier so I was wondering would it work with these ie. inject a CO2 bulb shake for 15 minutes, inject another CO2 bulb shake for 15 etc. Keep checking for the amount of fizz.

There's probably not enough CO2 in these bulbs to fully carb a beer but I was just wondering.
Tell you what Mark I'll give it a go as my first attempt with the minikeg failed to carb (my fault didn't dissolve the sugar before adding, bottles of same batch are the same) and I have a keg of it left to play with.
Will be a week or so before I get to it as quite busy and work has a zero alcohol policy. Fingers crossed it will work.

Sent home if any trace of alcohol found in your system with random testing is just not worth the risk. That and with working nightshift I don't really fancy a beer at 8am before bed, could murder one in the afternoon when I get up though lol

After following this post i have bitten the bullet and ordered a couple of mini kegs and party star deluxe tap. Time to start a new brew :-)

After following this post i have bitten the bullet and ordered a couple of mini kegs and party star deluxe tap. Time to start a new brew :-)

BOOM that's another one converted. Take a look at my thread its stickyed at the moment on new threads. Its called Mini Keg usage, maintenance & party star deluxe.

Tell you what Mark I'll give it a go as my first attempt with the minikeg failed to carb (my fault didn't dissolve the sugar before adding, bottles of same batch are the same) and I have a keg of it left to play with.
Will be a week or so before I get to it as quite busy and work has a zero alcohol policy. Fingers crossed it will work.

Sounds quite costly if it does work just to carb up 1 keg :s

Can you put the party star tap on the shop bought hobgoblin?

Without seeing the bung I couldn't tell you. But if its a red and black bung your told to twist before pulling the tap out then yes. Have a look at my mini keg maintainance guide and you'll see what bungs I'm on about

Back