Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than fitting the 2-pin plug adapter it didn't need much setting up. You need to add 800ml of water to the cooling resevoir, and there's a dip tube like on the Party Star with 2 connectors on it. You connect the gas to the back one and the tap to the front one.

When I load keg number 2 I'll be taking some photos for my blog so will post them then.
Thanks. I'm using a party star currently. Looks like a good, more professional looming alternative.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's here! It only came with a 2 pin plug though. Luckily my travel adapter is a fused one so I'll set it up with that temporarily, and I've ordered a proper fused screw-on adapter from Amazon which is arriving tomorrow.

To accommodate the 4-5 litre Cornie overflow, I've long had interest in similar units, but always had concern about homebrew compatibility, and found it difficult to find answers. Would you mind?

I'm assuming we can fill a standard mini keg with our own brew and tap it up to this? Sounds likely given your explosive experience.

My preference would be to secondary carbonate, then bring the kegs in as needed. I'm just a bit confused as to how connection proceeds without losing the head pressure. Is that feasible, or do you lose the head pressure and have to bring it back up again with the CO2 cartridge? Is it compatible with the bung with pressure release? I always thought you'd push the dip tube through the bung, pushing the plug from the bung into the keg (whether that be a plastic plug or the pressure release plug) but I never found info on this. And also, can I assume if you already have head pressure, then it doesn't use up the CO2 cartridge until it reaches the low pressure point?

Any idea how close it is to this model in the link below? It looks very similar but not exactly the same. This unit is cheaper on the French Amazon, about 115 pounds delivered to France, or 125 pound delivered to UK, so very interesting if it meets requirements.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H7Q5RSE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
So are the sale ones easy kegs or mini kegs? And is there and easy way to get the bung out other that a pair of needle nose pliers and a drill?😡

To accommodate the 4-5 litre Cornie overflow, I've long had interest in similar units, but always had concern about homebrew compatibility, and found it difficult to find answers. Would you mind?

I'm assuming we can fill a standard mini keg with our own brew and tap it up to this? Sounds likely given your explosive experience.

My preference would be to secondary carbonate, then bring the kegs in as needed. I'm just a bit confused as to how connection proceeds without losing the head pressure. Is that feasible, or do you lose the head pressure and have to bring it back up again with the CO2 cartridge? Is it compatible with the bung with pressure release? I always thought you'd push the dip tube through the bung, pushing the plug from the bung into the keg (whether that be a plastic plug or the pressure release plug) but I never found info on this. And also, can I assume if you already have head pressure, then it doesn't use up the CO2 cartridge until it reaches the low pressure point?

Any idea how close it is to this model in the link below? It looks very similar but not exactly the same. This unit is cheaper on the French Amazon, about 115 pounds delivered to France, or 125 pound delivered to UK, so very interesting if it meets requirements.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H7Q5RSE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It works pretty much exactly the same as the Party Star Deluxe except that you connect the tap and CO2 cartridge separately whereas the PSD is one unit. The dip tube goes into the keg through the bung (yes it knocks the middle into the keg) and because of the size and shape of the dip tube you don't lose any pressure. The instructions (which are available to download on the Klarstein website) say tomawitch the gas on to pour but I've just been treating it as I treat the PSD and only adding gas when the pressure drops.

The pressure bungs are no different to normal ones AFAIK

The unit you link looks almost identical

Last edited by a moderator:
It's here! It only came with a 2 pin plug though. Luckily my travel adapter is a fused one so I'll set it up with that temporarily, and I've ordered a proper fused screw-on adapter from Amazon which is arriving tomorrow.

Nice one Mick.

How is the cooling on that puppy?

Does it stick to the set temp or is it all over the place like my one?

Does the fan run constantly and how loud is it?

I need facts!

Nice one Mick.

I need facts!
I second this as I would like one myself so would be good to know how well it works

It works pretty much exactly the same as the Party Star Deluxe except that you connect the tap and CO2 cartridge separately whereas the PSD is one unit. The dip tube goes into the keg through the bung (yes it knocks the middle into the keg) and because of the size and shape of the dip tube you don't lose any pressure. The instructions (which are available to download on the Klarstein website) say tomawitch the gas on to pour but I've just been treating it as I treat the PSD and only adding gas when the pressure drops.

The pressure bungs are no different to normal ones AFAIK

The unit you link looks almost identical

Thanks, you pretty much answered all my questions. Seems then it does meet requirements. Maybe I can finally put bottling behind me. I had been considering 9l cornies as a solution, but they are hardly any cheaper than full size cornies and I would be left with a big head space.

Just one lingering doubt. When you say "the pressure bungs are no different to normal ones", I guess you are referring to the way they can be easily attached to the dispensing unit yes? Looking at a picture of the pressure bung, it looks like the metal release part sits inside a plastic part, and that whole metal/plastic part can be pushed through into the keg by the dip tube. Anyone any idea if that is how they work? And they are very much more expensive than standard bungs, so are they worth it? I'm thinking almost a necessity if you plan to stock them away and forget about them. Or have others found standard bungs are fine?

Thanks, you pretty much answered all my questions. Seems then it does meet requirements. Maybe I can finally put bottling behind me. I had been considering 9l cornies as a solution, but they are hardly any cheaper than full size cornies and I would be left with a big head space.

Just one lingering doubt. When you say "the pressure bungs are no different to normal ones", I guess you are referring to the way they can be easily attached to the dispensing unit yes? Looking at a picture of the pressure bung, it looks like the metal release part sits inside a plastic part, and that whole metal/plastic part can be pushed through into the keg by the dip tube. Anyone any idea if that is how they work? And they are very much more expensive than standard bungs, so are they worth it? I'm thinking almost a necessity if you plan to stock them away and forget about them. Or have others found standard bungs are fine?

I have some of the pressure release ones. Used them once but not bothered since.

The metal pin is part of the plastic stopper so they work exactly the same as the standard grey bungs in terms of attaching to a tap. The grey rubber bungs are identical on both types.

The pressure release is actually just a black rubber o ring which covers a hole in the metal pin.

Nice one Mick.

I need facts!

The fan kicks in every time the temperature rises 1C above the set temperature, which is pretty often. It's not that loud, you can only hear it if you're in the kitchen with it.

I've never used the pressure release bungs l. I'm assuming it's the pressure release but that gets pushed through as it's the only possible way to get a tap in.

I've never used the pressure release bungs l. I'm assuming it's the pressure release but that gets pushed through as it's the only possible way to get a tap in.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm pretty much sold on the 5l dispenser idea now.

I saw the specs on the Brewferm mini kegs and they are rated to buckle at 4 bar and burst at 6 bar, which will be worst case, so you'd expect even higher bars than that. With 15g of sugar, I think it pretty impossible to reach those bars. I'm comfortable to go with the simple plugs.

I've just damaged a Warsteiner Keg, trying to get the non re-useable vent bung out.

TBH, I'm not that bothered, I was 90% putting it out with the recycling anyway as we didn't drink all 5 litres at the BBQ yesterday, and the 2 pints remaining are flat as a Witch's tit.

I don't drink as much beer as I used to, so my wheat beer kit is going to be bottled.

DSC_0052.jpg

I've just damaged a Warsteiner Keg, trying to get the non re-useable vent bung out.

TBH, I'm not that bothered, I was 90% putting it out with the recycling anyway as we didn't drink all 5 litres at the BBQ yesterday, and the 2 pints remaining are flat as a Witch's tit.

I don't drink as much beer as I used to, so my wheat beer kit is going to be bottled.
What damage to the keg?

Just tried my first brew with the party star tap, a mild (GW's Thwaites nutty black). Primed with 13g of sugar and I'm really pleased with it! Carbonation is spot on and because the first glass was still quite pressurised it almost poured like a draught Guinness! Very tasty, I'd even say commercial grade. Here's my first half of it.
b6f99e9771585fbe113e8f03c7da65e5.jpg

Just tried my first brew with the party star tap, a mild (GW's Thwaites nutty black). Primed with 13g of sugar and I'm really pleased with it! Carbonation is spot on and because the first glass was still quite pressurised it almost poured like a draught Guinness! Very tasty, I'd even say commercial grade. Here's my first half of it.
b6f99e9771585fbe113e8f03c7da65e5.jpg

I assume you took your easy keg into a sams smiths pub and borrowed a glass before pouring a pint and returning the glass afterwards :whistle: (I'd never nick a nice glass tankard and two 330ml stem glasses that perfectly complement my 330ml bottles from a pub - oh, no.)

(I'd never nick a nice glass tankard and two 330ml stem glasses that perfectly complement my 330ml bottles from a pub - oh, no.)

& Id never suck my beer gut in enough to 'borrow' a hoegaarden glass from a pub & visit other premises & a night club afterwards. Imagine the indentation on my skin it would make after sucking it in for so many hours :grin:

Back