Keg CO2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardy

Reaction score
I have bought Corny kegs but I'm not sure what CO2 cylinders I need. A shop near me has Mixed gas 70/30 for Ale and Stout, 60/40 for larger and cider. They have a food grade 100% CO2 but because the cylinders are meant for pubs does anyone know if a 70/30 mix will be ok because it could be a couple of months before the keg is empty?

You need 100% co2 mate. Different mixes are for different beers, but the biggest issue you will find is they need different regulators! The percentages are Nitrogen/Carbon Dioxide.

Ive just bought my setup too, did the first couple with sodastream co2 but it works out expensive, managed to find a local supplier of co2 fire extinguishers, working perfectly for me now :)

Ive just bought my setup too, did the first couple with sodastream co2 but it works out expensive, managed to find a local supplier of co2 fire extinguishers, working perfectly for me now :)
Make sure it's food grade CO2. There could be bugs in non food grade stuff (so I'm told)

Make sure it's food grade CO2. There could be bugs in non food grade stuff (so I'm told)

Don't quote me on this but I believe CO2 is CO2, but it is what they do with the cylinders that makes it saleable as food grade. i.e for food grade/pub gas the cylinders they are cleaned before refill as there is potential for backfill of beer into it.
Are food grade cylinders coated on internal surfaces to prevent corrosion? Sure I read this somewhere.

it is what they do with the cylinders that makes it saleable as food grade.

Are food grade cylinders coated on internal surfaces to prevent corrosion? Sure I read this somewhere.

I seem to remember a thread about using fire extinguishers and remember this was discussed in it. (basically don't)

Latest posts

Back