Grainfather Sparge Water Heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Grainfather Sparge Water Heater just by itself?
What kind of temperature control does it have on it? Has one used it for boiling/brew in a bag?

I've been specing out some new kit and was just curious about this one, as I can't seem to find any reviews on it just by itself.

Thanks!

Yes I have one. I use it for what it says on the tin. It does the job.

The temp control is by a dial on the front labeled in increments 5 degrees C. The dial sort of clicks into a position with each 5 degree band you move to so doesn't seem to allow more precise settings, and if it does it would be trial and error as it's not marked on the dial. I've checked the settings against a calibrated thermomenter in the water and it was a couple.of degrees out.

It heats up quite quickly, from memory i think it took about 15 mins to get 15L from 0 to 75

I also have one but keep it set to max and use an Inkbird ITC-308 set to 75 degrees C to control it.

I looked at them when I bought my grainfather, but they seemed little different from any other boiler.
I bought a Burco Cygnet 30L Manual Fill Water Boiler CYMFCT1030, from PlumbNation for £72, it works well - you just need to find out what number on the dial corresponds to the temperature you want, and it holds it fairly well.

A PP bucket and a tesco kettle element will do the job perfectly well, the copper kettle online brewshop will sell you a bucket and put element and tap holes in it for you as well as sell you all the fittings needed (if needed) too.

If using a controller like the inkbird stc1000 or pid, be mindful if sat @ temp for any period the water can 'stratify' into layers of reducing temp down its volume, probably spot on @ the probe point, but lower below and higher above. A simple stir is all thats needed to normalise the temperature throughout the vessel, but if forgotten a cooler than expected start to the sparge may be the result. it caught me out a few times tbh, and now i have a lil brown solar pump on the hlt drain valve to recirculate the liquor during heat up and maintaining the strike or sparge temps, a bit ott when a simple stir will do but i had the spare pump ;)

Latest posts

Back