Cloudwater citra ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had it, I always thought Cloudwater was a bit hipster poncy ********, maybe I'll see if I can find it somewhere...

Cloudwater DIPA3 is in my top 5 beers. At 9% it packs a punch, but it's so balanced and smooth it's un****ingbelievable.

Get it while you can!

Managed to acquire the recipe from the brewery (because is awesome) - have a look here at our planned attempt.

Never had it, I always thought Cloudwater was a bit hipster poncy ********, maybe I'll see if I can find it somewhere...

Word up, notty, it's got intense grapefruit, pineapple and peach (basically um bongo) flavours.

You can really spot the Vermont ale yeast in it too, the creamy mouth feel is exactly like the two beers I made with it and also the peachy taste it kicks out.

I'd recommend that yeast to anyone who likes hoppy beers.

Managed to acquire the recipe from the brewery (because is awesome) - have a look here at our planned attempt.

Ezra, the yeast behaved perfectly for me, but I was lucky in that the ambient temp in the cupboard where I brew was about 18c at the time, which is what they suggest keeping it at for four days or so, then bringing it up to 21c, ie my living room temp til fermentation completes.

I got really good attenuation and having tried a few beers using it, I've got exactly the right characteristics out of it

I also made a 1L starter which helped it along

Word up, notty, it's got intense grapefruit, pineapple and peach (basically um bongo) flavours.

You can really spot the Vermont ale yeast in it too, the creamy mouth feel is exactly like the two beers I made with it and also the peachy taste it kicks out.

I'd recommend that yeast to anyone who likes hoppy beers.

I was weaned on Um Bongo, so I'm all over this like a tramp eating chips!

Just got to find somewhere that sells it first :doh:

Ezra, the yeast behaved perfectly for me, but I was lucky in that the ambient temp in the cupboard where I brew was about 18c at the time, which is what they suggest keeping it at for four days or so, then bringing it up to 21c, ie my living room temp til fermentation completes.

I got really good attenuation and having tried a few beers using it, I've got exactly the right characteristics out of it

I also made a 1L starter which helped it along

I've only ever pitched dry yeast so looking for some advice on making up a starter - could you elaborate on how you made it up?

There's a thread in the how to section I think, or YouTube has loads but essentially just make up 1L (maybe a bit more to allow for boil off) of wort at around 1040 using dme (100g of dme in 1L = 1040 if I recall) You could steep grain but that's obviously more work. Boil it for 15m to sanitise then stick it in a bottle, ideally 2L bottle. I used a plastic fizzy drink bottle but glass probably better as easy to sanitise.

When cooled, add the yeast, shake like mad. Don't put the lid on tight as the fermentation will create co2. Shake the bottle as often as you can (tighten the lid temporarily when you do this).

After 24-48 hours you'll have loads more viable cells. You can then either cold crash to settle the yeast and pour off the spent wort, or pitch the whole lot, as I did. Worked a treat.

Don't forget sanitation throughout.

All this assumes you don't have a stir plate, which is probably fair if you haven't done a starter before.

But look it up in YouTube, that's where I got my process.

There's a thread in the how to section I think, or YouTube has loads but essentially just make up 1L (maybe a bit more to allow for boil off) of wort at around 1040 using dme (100g of dme in 1L = 1040 if I recall) You could steep grain but that's obviously more work. Boil it for 15m to sanitise then stick it in a bottle, ideally 2L bottle. I used a plastic fizzy drink bottle but glass probably better as easy to sanitise.

When cooled, add the yeast, shake like mad. Don't put the lid on tight as the fermentation will create co2. Shake the bottle as often as you can (tighten the lid temporarily when you do this).

After 24-48 hours you'll have loads more viable cells. You can then either cold crash to settle the yeast and pour off the spent wort, or pitch the whole lot, as I did. Worked a treat.

Don't forget sanitation throughout.

All this assumes you don't have a stir plate, which is probably fair if you haven't done a starter before.

But look it up in YouTube, that's where I got my process.

Have you bought your "artisan" cigar box stir plate yet?

Waiting for my birthday in July so my wife can get it as a birthday prezzie. Not brewing before then anyway (might sneak a few in if I get the gf though...)

I'm shaping a recipe up to test out the Vermont strain. There is also a Vermont/Brett mix strain in the U.S. That could be seriously interesting.

Not tried then citra IPA myself. But I have heard good things about it. The two brewers are the ex head Brewers from brew dog if my memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back