• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fermentation Fridge - Wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering this myself. Does anyone here just use the glass shelf successfully with a 20 litre batch?
I don't quite have a "Brew Fridge" as I haven't organised the heater and inkbird yet I just use it currently to crash cool.

I do however just put my 20-23ltrs on the glass shelf and it holds fine (so far 😜)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Size wise, my undercounter fridge without ice box (£27 on ebay, curry's Essential CU..........) will hold two cornies after a bit of modification to the door. With a wooden shelf in it will hold either a normal plastic FV with fermentation lock or I use a SS Brewbucket with vent hose. Personally I wouldn't risk using a glass shelf.
The most suitable under counter fridge I've seen in Currys is a Logick, it has a bit more depth to the floor and the door doesn't protrude so much, £129 at the moment.
For full size larder fridges, there's a company in Wigan that sell on ebay, what appear to be ex demo or slightly damaged "Swan" fridges for about £150.

Brian

I watched gumtree daily for about two weeks, there were loads of manky looking fridges coming up for peanuts and a few less old coming up but for £££s. I spotted a cracker barely used advertised for forty quid must go this weekend, no takers, next day it was twenty quid collected today, needless to say i picked it up that morning! Couple of years old, clean as a whistle, poked the heater cable through the drain hole and plugged it all into the inkbird, it's been full of fermenting brews ever since.
Provided you get one without an icebox you'll be right with an undercounter size, mine takes a 33l FV on the bottom shelf with a stubby airlock and there's bags of room above. The heater is on the base below the bottom shelf. Id be buggered though if it had an icebox unless it was a taller type fridge.

My fermentation fridge did have a freezer compartment at the top...an oversight of mine before I agreed to buy it...after some butchering, I managed to make my FV fit.

I've been wondering this myself. Does anyone here just use the glass shelf successfully with a 20 litre batch?

I do yes the glass is tempered, it's fine, as a precaution I try to avoid clonking the FV on it but just being over cautious in case it shatters. When the FV is in fully it's half on the glass and half on the shelf.

Story, had a pane of 6mm tempered glass delivered to a site once for the architect to approve for use, it was leant against the side of a site cabin. He picked up a lump of stone and threw it at said glass and it bounced back and nearly took his head off. Glass was fine, his machismo was severely bruised. How we laughed...

My fermentation fridge did have a freezer compartment at the top...an oversight of mine before I agreed to buy it...after some butchering, I managed to make my FV fit.

You did well to adapt it and it still work mate, does it look a sight or did you manage to keep it neat? Makes no odds as long as it works but just wondering as I can get a free one but it's got an ice box in.

I do yes the glass is tempered, it's fine, as a precaution I try to avoid clonking the FV on it but just being over cautious in case it shatters. When the FV is in fully it's half on the glass and half on the shelf.

Story, had a pane of 6mm tempered glass delivered to a site once for the architect to approve for use, it was leant against the side of a site cabin. He picked up a lump of stone and threw it at said glass and it bounced back and nearly took his head off. Glass was fine, his machismo was severely bruised. How we laughed...

I stupidly asked the question before testing if my FV even fits in my fridge. Guess what, it doesn't!

I've got a fifteen litre that fits though, so that'll do for now. Your story gives me confidence to find a bigger one that fits though :D

You did well to adapt it and it still work mate, does it look a sight or did you manage to keep it neat? Makes no odds as long as it works but just wondering as I can get a free one but it's got an ice box in.

It doesn't look too bad...like a deconstructed cardboard box, but metal. I just pulled the joints apart.

It is a tight squeeze though...

Wherabouts are you? I've got fridge you can have but it's in Newcastle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Hallo pal!
Any joy on ya ferm fridge pal??
Or know anybody could sell me one?
I'm in Benton.
Unfortualy I can't do DIY (due to my disibilty!) but I've got inkbird and a small green house heater!
Thx very much

if you have facebook on your mobile, of a friend does, at the top in the middle is stall app. its a sales page. ive seen loads on there, i picked mine up for £5, check it out,

I picked up a tall larder fridge from freecycle yesterday. A little dirty but not bad condition. Stank of what can best be described as spicy caribean food. Sprayed every bit of it with bleach and that is all I can smell today. It will be getting a very very thorough clean and staralising though. At least as brewers we have plenty of steralising products at hand.

Latest posts

Back