Liquid yeast, worth it or rip off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow,that's a lot of brews from one yeast.
I knew yeast could be reused but I guess the point is,is it much better than dried yeast? As you can repitch onto trub which has used dried I think.

Once you have used dry yeast then for any subsequent reuse it is treated exactly the same as liquid yeast (because that's what it is).

In my opinion the only reason to choose any yeast strain, liquid or dry, is for the flavour it produces. I don't think one is better than the other, I personally just prefer the flavour profile I get from liquid yeast strains such as Wyeast 3711, 2565, 3787 etc. However if I found a dry yeast which produced the same flavours I would definitely use it. That is why I always use US-05 in my hoppy pales, it is exactly the same as 1056.

Once you have used dry yeast then for any subsequent reuse it is treated exactly the same as liquid yeast (because that's what it is).

In my opinion the only reason to choose any yeast strain, liquid or dry, is for the flavour it produces. I don't think one is better than the other, I personally just prefer the flavour profile I get from liquid yeast strains such as Wyeast 3711, 2565, 3787 etc. However if I found a dry yeast which produced the same flavours I would definitely use it. That is why I always use US-05 in my hoppy pales, it is exactly the same as 1056.
But half the price I imagine,thanks,that's what I was after.
If I ever use liquid I will reuse it but I guess I was asking is the price difference comparable to the end product,and to yourself it is.
Maybe one day further down the line when I am a master AG brewer I will find myself asking a noob,why are you using dry yeast you uneducated pot noodle brewer ? :lol:

Correct, I added 100g pellets at flameout and left them to sit for 20 minutes before cooling. It's an experiment so I'm not sure how the bittering will turn out but the sample I took last week is promising. Based on the sample, I think it's a technique I'll be using again although with higher ABV beers I will use some hops earlier on to increase the IBUs.

Interesting, I should have done that with my first biab last week as I followed hop addition instructions then proceeded to leave the hops in overnight to no chill.
Basically I think I have made a Helix NZ Pale Ale Bitter Bitter :doh:

Wow,that's a lot of brews from one yeast.
I knew yeast could be reused but I guess the point is,is it much better than dried yeast? As you can repitch onto trub which has used dried I think.

Simple answer, Yes. Every different type/strain of yeast does a different job/adds profile to your brew. INHO yeast is very much over-looked in the HB hobby. HB`ers tend to, not everyone, work out their mash bill and hop bill and then throw any sort of yeast at it.
Malt, hops, water (to a extent) are very much inert, you cant **** it up, its just the combination.
Now yeast is a different matter, its a living organism and needs some love and attention

Totally agree with you.....Ive never got good results from US-05, but must be down to my water.

In my opinion liquid yeast does not make better beer but can make it more authentic to a style especially a style that has a strong or destictive yeast flavour as you just can't get that from dried. Dried yeast is more consistent as it should have a very similar cell count in each pack and looses it very slowly before its opened while liquid including harvested can vary hugely.

No comparison, liquid yeast are far superior. It's like saying kit beers are as good as all grain beers because they are all beer. And with simple management you can get several brews from one pack.

I thought some people just take a jar of the trub at bottom of fv, keep in the fridge then dump into new brew? If this works,how do you know if you are underpitching or overpitching?

Maybe one day further down the line when I am a master AG brewer I will find myself asking a noob,why are you using dry yeast you uneducated pot noodle brewer ? :lol:

This made me chuckle 👍. I'm more of a cuppa soup kinda guy

I thought some people just take a jar of the trub at bottom of fv, keep in the fridge then dump into new brew? If this works,how do you know if you are underpitching or overpitching?

I've never worried about it, I just chuck 500ml slurry in (assuming it is < 2 weeks old). Served me well so far. :grin:

I've done this loads. It works well and is good if your lazy (like me). The short answer to your question as to how you know if it's under or over pitching is, you dont. Of course you want topitch the ideal amount of yeast but at a HB level it's much better to over pitch then under as if you under pitch (that's not the only consequence of underpitching, you get a more estery brew as well for example) you'll get a stuck brew. There are consequesces to overpitching, such as a lower FG (more yeast to to the work), a cleaner, less estery brew, but the conseqences aren't as PITA drastic as a stuck brew

Latest posts

Back