liquid yeast - have i killed it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyroyale

Reaction score
Hi, got a delivery of some bits for my first extract and steeping brew including a packet of White Labs american ale yeast liquid.

it was shipped with a cooling ice bag thingy, unfortunately i was away and wife didn't open box. It was sitting at home for two days unrefrigerated. so when i got home, i bunged it straight into the fridge.

Will the yeast still work? I'm planning on my first extract brew sunday or monday. I guess making a starter will be the acid test but if its dead then ill need to re-order.

thanks

It wont be all dead but some cells will have died off. Just make sure you make a starter and it should be fine. If your OG is highish you might want to make an extra big starter just to make sure

I thought I had killed my yeast on current brew but for a different reason. I had dried yeast and rehydrated it before adding to the wort. After 2 days I hadnt seen any activity in the airlock which I normally see and thought I might have to add more. I was aware that the water I used to rehydrate was a bit hot, so thought that had killed it. I had a peak in the FV and there was a fair size krausen. All that had happened was I hadnt pressed the lid down enough for a seal.

thanks for replies, going to make a starter with it for tomorrows brew. just need to find how to do that....

Thanks Dr M, found the thread and others before I took the plunge . All seems well so far. It'll have 48 hrs before pitching.

so i made the starter. but i went too early. for various reasons i won't be able to start my fermentation for 2 more days. the starter has been going for nearly 3 days. is 5 days in total as a starter going to be problem? should i put it in the fridge to slow the cell growth or leave it out ~21-22C until im ready to brew?

thanks

so i made the starter. but i went too early. for various reasons i won't be able to start my fermentation for 2 more days. the starter has been going for nearly 3 days. is 5 days in total as a starter going to be problem? should i put it in the fridge to slow the cell growth or leave it out ~21-22C until im ready to brew?

thanks

No problem putting it in the fridge. Just take it out of the fridge a couple of hours (or a few more, perhaps on the morning your going to brew) before you need to pitch it to bring it up to room temp

saw this after id pitched but yeast appears fine. bubbling away nicely. i see the temp on this one is 2-3C above ambient in the room. fermenting at 23C now. might be a bit high. think ill move it.

thanks for replies.

Latest posts

Back