Hop Aroma Oils

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using these for the last 5 brews in place of Dry Hopping. I like them, as you say, they are easier and cleaner and quicker. I like hoppy beers and add 6ml to my brews. I'm not sure if they are more effective than a dry hop, one day I might split a brew and experiment...... They work well for me though. I am hoping they will introduce more varieties soon.

Jas

I've been using these for the last 5 brews in place of Dry Hopping. I like them, as you say, they are easier and cleaner and quicker. I like hoppy beers and add 6ml to my brews. I'm not sure if they are more effective than a dry hop, one day I might split a brew and experiment...... They work well for me though. I am hoping they will introduce more varieties soon.

Jas
It says aroma but do you get the hop taste,ie the citrussy taste?

These look great. The people on JBK seem to rave about them. One even recommends putting a drop in a vodka tonic. I'll give 'em a try next time I order from them.

I recently brewed a one can bitter kit from Art of Brewing which included a sachet of hop oil. I'm bottling tomorrow so will let you know how it tastes.

I couldn't resist adding a citra oil to my order yesterday, I've looked at these a few times and finally took the plunge hoping it will work well in my next brew - any idea how they should be stored? It doesn't say about refrigerating anywhere I can see online, but it feels like the right thing to do.
:cheers:

I couldn't resist adding a citra oil to my order yesterday, I've looked at these a few times and finally took the plunge hoping it will work well in my next brew - any idea how they should be stored? It doesn't say about refrigerating anywhere I can see online, but it feels like the right thing to do.
:cheers:

I'd deffo refridgerate it, as I think the flavours might be volitile and evaporate easily

Thanks MyQul, that's what I was thinking - lucky its only a little bottle as I'm already exceeding the brewing space quota in the fridge/freezer.

You'd think they would have advice about storage on the info leaflet and internet if it was volatile - I couldn't find any storage info anywhere (didn't look particularly hard)

I'd deffo refridgerate it, as I think the flavours might be volitile and evaporate easily

Last edited:
Thanks MyQul, that's what I was thinking - lucky its only a little bottle as I'm already exceeding the brewing space quota in the fridge/freezer.

You'd think they would have advice about storage on the info leaflet and internet if it was volatile - I couldn't fond any storage info anywhere (didn't look particularly hard)

My thinking is that the aroma/flavour compounds in hops are volitile and can easily be boiled off. That's why you add 0min additions at <80C and some people say <65C. So logic suggest to me that these aroma oils may also be pretty volitile so stick em in the fridge. Cant do any harm I think

Where would the oils evaporate to if the bottle is sealed?
As you remove the liquid oil from the bottle a very tiny amount will evaporate into the gas space in the resealed bottle to form an equilibrium with the liquid left. However you wouldn't really notice it. When the equilibrium is achieved no more will evaporate until you take out more liquid, and the same thing happens again.
Whether the bottle is kept in the fridge will make little difference.
By analogy you don't keep a can of gasoline in the fridge. When you open the can from wherever you keep it, the gasoline is still there from last time. And the same goes for any volatile liquid.
I suggest the best reason for refrigeration is to minimise degradation of the oil by oxidation once a bottle is opened, since each time you pour some oil out, some air gets in. It's like hops themselves, best kept in vacuum bags or, after opening, in the freezer.

Where would the oils evaporate to if the bottle is sealed?
As you remove the liquid oil from the bottle a very tiny amount will evaporate into the gas space in the resealed bottle to form an equilibrium with the liquid left. However you wouldn't really notice it. When the equilibrium is achieved no more will evaporate until you take out more liquid, and the same thing happens again.
Whether the bottle is kept in the fridge will make little difference.
By analogy you don't keep a can of gasoline in the fridge. When you open the can from wherever you keep it, the gasoline is still there from last time. And the same goes for any volatile liquid.
I suggest the best reason for refrigeration is to minimise degradation of the oil by oxidation once a bottle is opened, since each time you pour some oil out, some air gets in. It's like hops themselves, best kept in vacuum bags or, after opening, in the freezer.

Tbh, I was just kind of guessing at reasons why it might be best to keep the oils in the fridge. This is based on things seem to keep best if they're kept in a cool, dark (and in some cases, such as grains for example, dry) envrionment- like a fridge. I'm deffo not an expert on this kind of thing, so defer to your knowledge on this kind of thing.

I also guess UV light would have a degrading effect on the oils so keeping it in the fridge might help. Overall, as I mention, I dont think it could do any harm and the bottle is so small it wouldn't take up any space and as Dan125 says there's completely no instructions on how to best keep the hop oils. To me intuition says at least stick it in the fridge and you yourself give a reason (oxidation) why it may be best to keep the oil in the fridge

On a side note your explanation on how evaporation works and how best to use a no chill cube - if I'm understanding things correctly, fill the cube up as much as possible so the volitile oils from the hops dont end up in the space between the wort fill level and the top of the cube?

I'll have to stop opening it to have a sniff then - it smells good though!

Tbh, I was just kind of guessing at reasons why it might be best to keep the oils in the fridge. This is based on things seem to keep best if they're kept in a cool, dark (and in some cases, such as grains for example, dry) envrionment- like a fridge. I'm deffo not an expert on this kind of thing, so defer to your knowledge on this kind of thing.

I also guess UV light would have a degrading effect on the oils so keeping it in the fridge might help. Overall, as I mention, I dont think it could do any harm and the bottle is so small it wouldn't take up any space and as Dan125 says there's completely no instructions on how to best keep the hop oils. To me intuition says at least stick it in the fridge and you yourself give a reason (oxidation) why it may be best to keep the oil in the fridge

On a side note your explanation on how evaporation works and how best to use a no chill cube - if I'm understanding things correctly, fill the cube up as much as possible so the volitile oils from the hops dont end up in the space between the wort fill level and the top of the cube?

Not sure about UV light. What colour are the bottles? If they are dark then this may help, if not ...? Is there a use by date? And of course how do the LHBSs or suppliers keep their (unopened stock)? My LHBS (before it closed :-() used to keep bottles of hop oil on the sales counter next to the window.

As far as the chill cube, first, tbh, I am not sure of the configuration, but in basic terms what you have said is probably correct.

Not sure about UV light. What colour are the bottles? If they are dark then this may help, if not ...? .

It comes in small brown glass bottles & there's no use by date, which with the lack of storage instructions made me think it might keep well :-?

Latest posts

Back