Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
So in a passing conversation with someone at work today I've managed to get myself a free fridge . Assuming it's ok when go to get this week I'll need a heater.

Somebody on this forum , can't remember who suggested one of these a while back.

8b81aa65a7c28ee46d22ebf8c2910d68.jpg

Would this suffice as a heater ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this 60w one (also bought a spare)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00408OB1W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd imagine 40w not enough for a brewfridge unless you have 2 going at same time. Mine (60w) can just about manage 22.5c when its 0c outside as long as I also use a small fan to circulate the air away from the heater so it doesn't cut out.

That said not often we get 0c.

I have two as it is a fairly large fridge, you can get them from Toolstation and most stores all about the same price.

Perfect - I think I'll go for the 60w version then , better to be safe than sorry.
I'll do mo more 25l brews now , the back breaking carry of a 25l FV to the upstairs cupboard was killing me !!

I bought this 60w one (also bought a spare)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00408OB1W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd imagine 40w not enough for a brewfridge unless you have 2 going at same time. Mine (60w) can just about manage 22.5c when its 0c outside as long as I also use a small fan to circulate the air away from the heater so it doesn't cut out.

That said not often we get 0c.

I only have an undercounter brew fridge. The 40w heater is easily powerful enough to heat my fridge up to and hold it at least 25° which is the max I've tried. Usually sits happily around 19.5-20.5°.

Actually you should be cycling between having the heater on and having the heater off if you think about it.

Actually you should be cycling between having the heater on and having the heater off if you think about it.

Yes but not too often. The fridge body is designed to maintain its internal temperature for as long as possible before it gets too warm or cold so one of the elements has to kick in.

I never use the cooling of the fridge/STC 1000 for fermentation just the heater set at 19-21C as it rarely gets warmer than that in my garage.
For conditioning I simply set the fridge as cool as possible and leave it there and use the probe of STC to monitor the temp only

I never use the cooling of the fridge/STC 1000 for fermentation just the heater set at 19-21C as it rarely gets warmer than that in my garage.

For conditioning I simply set the fridge as cool as possible and leave it there and use the probe of STC to monitor the temp only

This is what I was thinking as it's going in garage it shouldn't need the cooling . For first stage anyway , may think again into the summer

If its any help, I had a spare 60w tube heater in an undercounter sized fridge and found it was a little too much. I wired up a standard light dimmer switch with a socket on one end and a plug on the other so it slots into my existing wiring. Yes its a bit odd looking but it allowed me to fine true the heat output to reduce cycling. This might help you to fine tune the heat output for each season....just a thought if you do decide to get a larger heater instead, gives you extra options.

I needed the fridge for cooling in Dublin over the summer for about 6 weeks. Also there were nights when heating was needed and then 12 hours later cooling....

Latest posts

Back