Cant see the wood for the trees..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MOT time come around again today.. and at 10am i had the bad news from the speculative pre service etc test..

Not bad an exhaust bit and a back lamp bulb.. so i booked the exhaust fix, I dont have ramps any more.. and its way too cold ;) but the lamp, phah! that i could manage or so i thought.

Im lucky round the corner no more than 5 minutes away is a reasonably cheap stock and can get anything motor spares shop.. so i pull the bulb thats blown and walk round and get a fresh one fit it and give a pal a bell to sit in the car pushing buttons n pedals so i can check the rear lights..

when he turns up the lamp i fixed is blown and also one the other side 2??

so i pop round the corner for 2 more bulbs fix em called me mate out who was sat comfortably watching judge judy

and 1 bulb was again blown and another different on was out too???

ok so this time i pulled out my meter and checked all the terminals were on n off when they should be while my mates tea was chilling.. everything seemed OK so i refitted bulbs in both sides and reinserted and again bulbs were blown THREE OF EM!!

off we went for new bulbs with my meter to check the continuity of each bulb just in case thankfully my mates puppy cheered him up not to take offence ;)
( 4 months old and 25kg, a effin monster scooby doo n mutly rolled into 1)

fitted n checked all ok but 1 bulb the wrong side??????????

at which point i started to doubt my eyes and noticed a bit of grime on the lenses and the sun was bright on them too so i went n flipped the switches etc while my pal checked the lights, he spotted the problem in 3 seconds flat,

water had pooled to fill all the lenses upto the lamp entry hole!! and what with the damp clamy weather and my cold numb fingers i had been oblivious

standing back knowing what to look for i could see the water levels shifting with any movement of the car!!!

D Blody OUOGH!

lenses are now drying out on the radiator as to water ingress its a mystery and how only one bulb blew for the mot and even survived the journey down n back??

THEN!!! all the lights on off etc eat the last of my battery juice, it was touch n go with a just cold start this morning on the way to the mot test centre and when i stopped to check lamps wipers etc outside the spares shop, i needed a jump to start it again.. SO i popped the battery leads off and trailed the power lead out to under the bonnet to charge the battery and having previosly spilled red paint on the black -ve clamp lead mis wired the charger to the battery and blew 3 fuses before spotting my mistake..

That was it for me for the day I cant be trusted to wipe my own bloody **** today..:doh:

Have you ever noticed how this never happens except withing 24 hours of mot day? Had a bike to mot once and could i as buggery get it going. After hours of fannying about my mate pointed out the kill switch was on.

If something in your car is goes bust you know it must be near MOT time. At least over in England you can just go to a garage to get your test done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenses all dry and back on the car 1st thing this morning, all bulbs working and enough battery charge to run it around for exhaust n tyre quotes, cant believe perished tyres is only a warning??
(old mot still in force..)
all booked in for friday and retest sorted for next week.. phew!!

am having my 1st sit down of the day..
Rant n Vent all over now ;)

Have you ever noticed how this never happens except withing 24 hours of mot day? Had a bike to mot once and could i as buggery get it going. After hours of fannying about my mate pointed out the kill switch was on.

lol this happened to my boss, he was fuming when I asked him if he'd checked it :whistle: He'd changed the battery twice and his charger :lol:

If something in your car is goes bust you know it must be near MOT time. At least over in England you can just go to a garage to get your test done.

That is the very reason i love our system in NI, the MoT centre has no vested interest in your car other than it's roadworthy, the mainland system is so open to abuse, malpractice and unscrupulous garage owners/mechanics.

Fil if you need to check your rear end bulbs in the future do it when you are reversed back onto a window of a shop/house, easy to see em in the rear view mirror then.

That is the very reason i love our system in NI, the MoT centre has no vested interest in your car other than it's roadworthy, the mainland system is so open to abuse, malpractice and unscrupulous garage owners/mechanics.

Fil if you need to check your rear end bulbs in the future do it when you are reversed back onto a window of a shop/house, easy to see em in the rear view mirror then.

The other problem with our system though is sometimes you get a guy in a pissy mood or just doesn't like the look of you so fails you on some tiny thing that wouldn't normally matter.

ive went out to about 4 none starts last year on bikes where the kill switch was flipped and one where the bike was in gear,, the guy even said to me,, he thinks its electrical,cause the neutral lights not working either, popped it in to neutral and started the bike up,,,:doh:

The other problem with our system though is sometimes you get a guy in a pissy mood or just doesn't like the look of you so fails you on some tiny thing that wouldn't normally matter.

they call it,, testers discretion :lol:

I've just had a palaver with my car....tyre blow out,thankfully at 20 mph,put the spare on and made arrangements to get the ruined one looked at as it was less than 12 months old. At the garage they took the spare off and found my spring had snapped and caused the puncture and the strut had gone as well....so two springs, two struts,a new tyre....got two as they were on offer,now have a good spare, and tracking....ouch...never mind..

Cheers

Clint

Back