No bubbles in the airlock 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have read this many times in the forum and suffered the same with one of my FV's.

I have 2 FV's one is a Richies version i got from a local home brew shop, this has a lid that snaps shut and is airtight and the airlock always works as it should, the second is a cheap one off ebay, the lid is very floppy (for want of a better description) it doesn't snap shut and i never see bubbles coming through the airlock.

I like a lot of home brewers like to see the bubbles as conformation that fermentation is taking place so i decided to try and make the cheap one as good as the more expensive one, this is how i did it.

I got a piece of strong cord and tied a loop in each end so when put round the outside of the lid there was a gap of around 50mm, i then threaded a cable tie through the loops put the cord round the lid (easier with two people) and pulled the cable tie tight, within seconds the airlock was bubbling and it carried on doing so until fermentation had finished.

If you try this method let me know how you get on, if you use another method post it in the thread. :thumb:

Last edited:
Back