Need a hand with a choice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bquiggerz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Basically as well as fermenting a very I'm thinking about doing done fruit juice as an experiment. I'm wanting to make a gallon and can not decide what juice/s to use, any ideas?

Thanks, Ben.

check out/search for all the WOW and TC (Wurzels orange wine, turbo cider) threads for super drinks made from juice and concentrate, the Polish raspberry concentrate found in the big supermarkets is a very popular base thats recently surfaced ;)

basically 4 to 5l of juice 1/2 a mug of strong Tea (for the tannin) and some sugar to make the gravity upto strength is the basic recipe for a 5l batch;)

Edit to add -

Juice wine thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks fil I'll have a look now, all these shorthand terms are confusing, is there a glossary post that I can check out?

I'm now set for recipes, is there a post I can read that explains all the shorthand? I know fv means fermentation vessel and a few others but don't know most of them

I've decided to go for 1L red grape juice, 1L grape, raspberry and pomegranate juice and 1L summer fruits juice drink, any idea how much sugar I should add to get to the usual wine abv?

first measure the gravity of your starting mixture.

Then check the FG you can expect, iirc a juice based TC should ferment out to a Final Gravity close to 0.000. but check that, dont trust my memory

then use an online gravity calculator or brew tool like brewmate to work out the starting gravity you want to produce the alcohol level you want and read off the grams of sugar needed to add ;)

If the total sugar comes to 1100g and you let it ferment to 990 it will finish at roughly 13%
with all my juice wines I add the sugar content of the cartons together and subtract it from 1100 this gives you the amount of sugar you need to add.

If the total sugar comes to 1100g and you let it ferment to 990 it will finish at roughly 13%
with all my juice wines I add the sugar content of the cartons together and subtract it from 1100 this gives you the amount of sugar you need to add.

Didn't know that trick. I assume this is for a gallon/4.5 litres ?

What he is saying bquiggerz is each drink will state how much sugar they have in 100ml, they will be around 10-13 grams . Each will be 1 ltr so multiply by 10 to give you between 100 and 130 per carton. If you use 4.5 cartons you will get around 500-585 grams. Subtract that from 1100 and you will need 515-600 grams of sugar to get 13%. Is that right CT ?

Red grape juice is usually around 130g of sugar per litre and apple 100g per litre so I would add 850g of sugar to make it 1100g for 13%, it's not exact but close enough.

Latest posts

Back