Using Grains with kits - Partial Mash - All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
A lot of home brewers, as I did, start out by making kits and adding sugar. Then they move on to adding malt extract instead of sugar, or a mix of both (eg brew enhancer). At some point many people start adding hops, usually by adding dry hops to the fermentation, or maybe be making a hop tea, or boiling some hops for a short length of time to extract some flavour and a little bitterness.

I am a big advocate of using grains instead of additional malt extract, even if you are not doing all grain. I think it makes a big difference, and it saves a lot of money too. Mashing (soaking) grains and adding the wort to a kit or to some extract is called a mini mash, or a partial mash. A kit is simply hopped extract, so they are both the same, except that if you use unhopped extract, you need to bitter the beer with hops by boiling them for a suitable length of time.

Mash
In a nutshell, you start the process by soaking grains (mashing) in about 3 litres of water per kg at a mashing temperature - between 63 and 69*C is ideal - for 45-60 mins. A mesh or muslin bag enables you to lift the grains out. You need to keep the pot wrapped up at this stage, I use a towel, to hold the temperature as steady as possible (I later realised that putting the pot in the oven at 50C was a lot easier!). Large pots of hot water cool very slowly, I have never lost more than 3*C in one hour, and that was without wrapping the pot!

Sparge
Then you rinse (sparge) the grains with more hot water at 75 - 80*C to extract as much sugar from the grains as possible. Either:
a) move the bag to another vessel containing the hot water, leave for 10 mins and then stir and remove the bag. Or
b) simply place the bag on a colander on top of your pot as you lift it out and then rinse with the hot water by pouring it through.

Boil
You boil all the wort you create, with any hop additions, usually for one hour. You can then either:
a) add the extract to the pot and stir it in, and pour the wort into your FV through a sieve (to catch the hops) into your sterilised FV, then top up with cold water. Or
b) add the extract with water in the FV and stir as you would a kit, and then pour your grain wort in through a sieve, and top up to the required level. It's that simple.

Once the temperature has fallen to 20*C, take a hydrometer reading and pitch the yeast.

Grains
You will need pale malt, such as Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pearl, Halcyon or lager malt. You can also add other grains to alter the flavour and colour of the beer if you wish. Common grains are crystal, amber, Chocolate malt, black malt, roast barley. You can add wheat malt. Or Munich, Vienna, rye or brown malt. Mashing means you can use any grain you like.

Here is a guide to doing partial mashes with kits, with a few recipes:

http://www.babbrewers.com/files/story/2003/04/Partial_Mash_Talk.pdf

No Pain All Grain
This method led me to realise I could do all grain very easily, on a smaller scale, by cutting out the extract and additional cold water part of the process. I have tried all sorts of ways of making beer cheaply, and I now use this method to make 10 litre all grain brews - great beer, cheap and easy. No fancy equipment required. Just a 15 litre pan, £16 from Wilkos, and a bag, which I made from muslin, to hold the grains and make straining easier. 10 litres in the FV gives me about 18 x 500ml bottles, or 27 x 330 ml, which I use for stronger brews.

For 10 litres I use about 2 to 2.5kg grain which costs £1.60 per kg, 20 - 80g hops which mostly cost £2.25 per 100g from Worcester Hop Shop, and I re-use yeast several times. Even a £6 liquid yeast is good value if you use it 6 times, or more. And good yeast is crucial to good beer.

Fantastic beer for very little cost. And I've learnt loads about beer ingredients and brewing technique. But basically you soak grains, rinse, boil with hops, cool, pitch yeast. Any mug can do it.

Brewing Software helps a lot
I use free software called Brewmate to calculate quantities. It is easy to use. You put in the ingredients and quantities etc and you can then adjust the batch size and it recalculates. Or you can find recipes on the net and adjust the quantities. Most American recipes are given in 19 litre quantities, so you could halve them for 9.5 litres. But download Brewmate, it will teach you loads. And it stores recipes you enter.

Recipes?
This site has a recipe section at the top of this page. You can use all grain, partial mash or extract recipes. I do some partial mashes but mainly all grain, cheaper and the best. There are many recipe sites on the web. Posters on here will suggest recipes they like.

I found the following site really useful for my brewing method and also some good tried and tested recipes:

Homebrewing

Crash Cooling
When fermentation has finished, you can crash chill a small 10L FV in the fridge, so it clears well and packs down. A day or two is usually enough, even overnight.

Crushed or Whole Grains?
I have a basic grinder that cost £25 but I sometimes buy crushed malt. Using ready crushed just speeds things up, but whole malt keeps longer. I tend to buy crushed pale malt to save my arms, and the time, and other grains whole, as they tend to hang around longer and you only need to crush a little. But just buying crushed is fine, just don't buy crushed in bulk.

A step by step 20 litre brew using grain and extract - Partial mash / Partial boil step by step recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been the little push needed to get me thinking about the next step change, so many thanks to clibit, first of all.

I bottled yesterday my first effort, which added a mini mash of 1.1kg MO and 400g Amber to a 2 can Golden Ale kit (£12.75 in the last Wilko sale).

Already it looks beautifully clear and tasted just amazing out of the hydrometer jar yesterday. More Amber than Golden.

Having prepared yesterday, today was partial #2, with 1.3kg MO and 200g Amber. Think I mashed at quite a low temperature again, it was about 61C after 45 mins.

The hops were Bramling Cross - 25g @ 25 mins and 10g @ 5 mins, with the last 17g of Cascade pellets. I am using a clearing pellet at 5 mins as well - protofloc or something

Added this to a Coopers English bitter (for the strong bittering of the Pride of Ringwood hops) and 500g of dark DME and 500g table sugar. Brewed to 24L with a view to adding some of a quite sweet tasting beer I made with a total of 550g of dark malts, at racking time.

Done 3 of these Partial mashes now and here is an outline methodology, using a 24x24 inch Nylon Bag and the much mentioned 15L Wilko stockpot. Basically you use your FV as a temporary container for the initial mash liquid whilst re-using the stockpot to do the sparge in a Nylon bag. It is fairly easy.

Mash
Pour 5 kettles of boiling water into stockpot. This takes a while, even with a decent kettle and then you can adjust the temps to 75C by adding some cold water.

Meanwhile, weigh out 2.5kg of grains - Maybe 2kg at least of base malt, like MO, and the rest in flavouring and colouring grains.

Add grains to water, stir out the dough balls, check temp and aim for maybe 66C. Move the stockpot onto a folded towel on the working top. Add some more towels or other insulator and leave for 60 mins, stirring a bit at 30 mins. Weigh out hops and get protofloc tablet out.

At the end of the mash, return the pot to the stove and slowly raise the temps up to around 75C - this is known as "mashing out".

In the meantime, put FV in the middle of the kitchen floor and insert the Nylon Bag (note - I don't mash in the bag). At end of the mash-out add contents of stockpot.

Drain the contents of the nylon bag into the FV without squeezing too hard, and in the meantime, sort out stockpot and add sparging water - another 2 kettles boiling water, cooled down with cold water to ~ 80C.

Sparge
Put nylon bag containing the grains back into stockpot with sparging water. Stir the contents of the bag for a bit, then leave for 10 mins.

Lift Nylon bag out of stockpot into a giant collander, big enough to sit on top of the pot. It is possible to add some more sparging water by pouring it out of the kettle, boiled and then cold water added. (The "giant" collander is £2 at Wilko).

Add the wort from the FV at this stage into the stockpot. Note that it might be prudent to boil a little of the wort in a seperate pan.

Empty and clean up the Nylon bag.

Boil
This takes ages to heat the stockpot up, to a rolling boil. Add the first hops at 60 mins, if you need bittering, then the flavouring hops at 30-15min and the aroma hops at 5 mins or flameout/ The protofloc tablet or similar is at 15 mins.

Put the sterilised Nylon bag into fermenter and turn off the heat.

Cooling
Add cold water to kitchen sink. Put the stockpot in the sink and now add the can(s) of hopped extact to the cooling water in the sink. This reduces the wort temp and raises the temp of the LME in the cans to a workable temp. It is a good idea to stir the contents of the pot with a sterilised spoon and stir the water in the sink with a different spoon. This helps the heat transfer - as does wobbling the cans around a bit.

Remove extract cans when warm and a change of sink water will cool the contents of the stockpot to 35C or so.

Add the cooled contents of the stockpot into the Nylon bag in the FV, to remove the hops. Take out Nylon bag and squeeze most of the liquid out of the hops.

Now it's a Kit
Now add the contents of the can(s) and and DME or sugar etc to the FV wort, stir well with the sterilised spoon to dissolve and add cold water, as per a kit brew, and pitch the yeast at an appropriate temp. The can(s) should be easy to empty with only a small amount of boiling water.

Caveat
This process has produced 23-27L of wort at around 20C at a cold time of year, depending on whether I used a one or two can kit. I expect that as it warms up, the boiled wort will need more cooling, as the tap water will be at higher temps.

Note - this may require some editing!

Last edited:
Ok,top top marks for these posts
Very good information for cowards like me and Slid thank you for making me feel so inferior whilst you crash on to the dark side (or whatever its called)
Seriously, Clibit and Slid,thanks for taking the time to post this stuff, it makes the transition from kits to partial/whatever a little less scary

Great stuff guys

Ok,top top marks for these posts
Very good information for cowards like me and Slid thank you for making me feel so inferior whilst you crash on to the dark side (or whatever its called)
Seriously, Clibit and Slid,thanks for taking the time to post this stuff, it makes the transition from kits to partial/whatever a little less scary

Great stuff guys

It is worth the effort. It really is.

I had a couple of beers watching the rugby this afternoon - a Coopers lager enhanced with 200g of steeped crystal grains, boiled with 40g Bramling Cross and 500g of blackberries added after 3 days fermenting. A Blushing Blonde. Very nice, if a bit hazy - I used pectolase the time before and time after, but not on this one.

Even so, the Blushing Blonde is pretty much as good a beer as I have got from a kit, right up there with the Coopers plus Wilko Stout.

And then, the taste of a botlle of the first PM - Amber Ale (Wilko Golden Ale, plus 1.1kg MO and 400g Amber Malt) is just amazing.

The haze is likely to be due to not boiling long enough.

Sorry, I was rambling and the point I was trying to make is how much better the PM's have been even than the best kit based ones. Didn't explain that very well and I blame the haze in the steep plus boil kit on failing to add pectolase to the blackberries and on adding some some sugary red coloured sweets left over from the Christmas before last.

All 5 of the partial mashes I have done bottled to date have been with protofloc added at 5 mins. All have cleared beautifully, despite only using a 30 min boil. The boil has been preceded by a lengthy heating stage and than a lengthy sink based cool down stage.

I notice Greg Hughes seems to advise boiling every brew for 60 mins minimum, even extract brews. Maybe this aids hop isomerisation. His recipies are easily converted to a PM approach, BTW, even though the methodology gets only passing mention. Just use the AG and Extract recipies to derive a brewhouse efficiency and use that to estimate the amount of base malt required to be added to a 1 can or 2 can kit. Not all of the styles lend themselves to a convenient mash length for one 15L pot, but most do, even if you need some DME as well.

The partial mash of the "Blushing Blonde" - Coopers Blonde kit plus PM plus blackberries is brilliantly clear only 2 days after bottling.

Last edited:
I've updated this thread with a new version, "Simple kit plus mini-mash method to improve a kit".

I've updated this thread with a new version, "Simple kit plus mini-mash method to improve a kit".

Gets my vote.

Anything that encourages anyone else to try this brilliant way of brewing has to be a positive thing.

Basically, you are adding a 10L AG to a kit and it makes a huge difference. :hat:

One day, I will do a 10L or so AG, but I am really blown away with a kit - one or two can kits, plus mini mash.

Back