Wilkinsons Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCase

Reaction score
I picked this up for £16 a few weeks back. Its an all malt, 2 can kit with no extra sugar giving an ABV of approximately 4%.I made it up as per instructions 9 days ago to 23 litres with an OG of 1.042. I did a hydrometer test last night showing the gravity to have dropped to 1.012 giving an ABV of 4% which you would think is bang on. However there was still some activity after the shaking of carrying it downstairs to test, so I'm going to leave til the weekend to see if the gravity drops any more. My initial thoughts are very positive though. The beer smells excellent with a floral English hop aroma already very prominent. If it tastes any where near as good as it smells then what is already a bargin for £16 might turn into the best £16 I've spent.

First post on this forum, so firstly, Hi..! Been homebrewing about 2 years, and just purchased this golden ale kit yesterday. Moving House so funds are tight, so this was a bargain that I couldn't miss! Looking forward to trying it as from what I've read, it seems pretty good.

I kegged this yesterday and drank the sample in the test jar. Though young it's already very drinkable, light, refreshing and hoppy. I can't wait to have a pint out of it in a week or two.

DamageCase said:
I kegged this yesterday and drank the sample in the test jar. Though young it's already very drinkable, light, refreshing and hoppy. I can't wait to have a pint out of it in a week or two.

hi DamageCase...
this kit sounds great.. :thumb: .
im going to pick one of these up 2moro...
and mabe start it onthe weekend ....

regards mick... :hat: .

I bottled mine up on Sunday after transferring it to a clean FV and seeing no activity. It had an SG of 1014 so it may have had a little way to go and, with the addition of sugar had produced a significant yeast residue at the bottom of each bottle. It's clearing quite nicely, all laid out on a table in my kitchen and being held at 18C, it'll go into the garage in another week or so. I'm managing to keep my hands off it by having a ready supply of Cooper's Stout to drink although I did quaff the sample jar, very nice it was too! I'm hoping it will clear properly once its been in the cold - it looks on target to do so.
From the 1043 original gravity and the 1014 final gravity, I calculate it's at about 3.8% ABV but after conditioning, I'm guessing it'll be about 4%.

Got a two can wherry on the go now and debating starting a stout I got with a job lot of brewing equipment from ebay.

hi damagecase... :thumb: .

i got my wilko golden ale 2day...
but im wondering if it would be better...

if i put a beerkit enhancer in with it
whats the thoughts on this ....

or is it best as tis ....

regards mick.... :hat: .

I would suggest you do it straight first then you can work out if you like it enough to want to play with it or not. The way mine is going I don't think I'm going to want to mess with it at all :thumb:

DamageCase said:
I would suggest you do it straight first then you can work out if you like it enough to want to play with it or not. The way mine is going I don't think I'm going to want to mess with it at all :thumb:

thanks DamageCase... :thumb: .
well thats good enough for me then...
thanks for that ....

when i do it this weekend ...
ill do it as it says ....

regards mick... :hat:

Started this brew today, made up to 23l. Treated the water I use with a campden tablet (I have found this really helps improve the final taste) smells great. Looks darker than what I was expecting though. Still, the proof is in the taste, just a good 5 weeks away!

DamageCase said:
It does look pretty dark in the FV but pours a lovely golden colour. I tested my keg for pressure by pouring a bit and it's a lovely colour.
hi dc... :thumb: .
what keg are you using...
and how much sugar did you prime it with please ...
i have a king keg but iv not used it yet ....
so still in 2 minds to bottle or keg ...

regards mick... :hat:

Seen the positive reviews so picked one of these up at Wilkos this morning, along with a stout and a pilsener (and the free bags of brewing sugar)
Will mess about with these and the cheep Youngs kits until the Coopers kits come down on tesco website.

Kinleycat said:
Seen the positive reviews so picked one of these up at Wilkos this morning, along with a stout and a pilsener (and the free bags of brewing sugar)
Will mess about with these and the cheep Youngs kits until the Coopers kits come down on tesco website.

nice one Kinleycat :thumb: ...
thats the way to do it ...

Brewed ths as per instructions and have had it bottles for just over a month. Frdt few weeks it was nice but very bitter which was disappointing as the flavour was somewhat spoilt by this. However, by week four in bottle this was gone and this is a really excellent beer. Would be happy to pay for this in a pub! Looked very dark at first but certainly lives up to its name when in a glass.

Put my golden ale kit on this morning with the now customary two tspns of yeast nutrient.
Only managed an OG of 1038; perhaps it wasn't mixed quite well enough.
Looking forward to this one, most of it will be going into a Cornie with the surplus going into bottles to condition.

mine only just made 1040 but got down to 1010 after two weeks, so spot on at 4%
going to bottle tmoz and going by the test jar its going to be a cracking pint.
I know its made by muntons but is it similar to any of their other two can kits?

tonybaloni said:
Can someone tell me if this is a two can kit or a single. Thanks.

its a 2 can kit bud ...

i bottled mine up on the 6th of this month...
so its going up in to the shed on the 20th...
thats a full 2 weeks of being in the warm ...
then ill leave it alone for 1 month minimum...
only then will i try it ... :thumb:

I purchased one of these for my second brew, as I couldn't resist at that price!

It tasted pretty good when it came out of the FV for bottling, but after reading several pieces on this forum, I was patient and kept in the warm for a couple of weeks. Now after about 4 weeks in the garage it is a lovely brew (better than several brews I have had in local pubs!), even the wife is enjoying it (who doesn't drink bitter usually) which is making the bottles disappear very quickly! :lol:

I will definitely be getting another to start in the next few weeks. :cheers:

Three weeks to get down to 1010 been stuck there since mid week.
Went into a keg and the remainder half filled a litre pet bottle.
I have to say Golden Ale isn't an understatement.
Comparing it to the Pale Ale I bottled last week it makes it look...? Pale!!

Latest posts

Back