BIAB Starter Kit (Peco Boiler, Chiller, Mashing bag, Mash Kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got this kit and it's still going strong after a year of use and it's all you'll need to start BIAB. Doesn't come with a hop strainer though so you might want some muslin bags as well :)

Its a good kit, and great, great value to get started with all grain BIAB.

It doesn't include the hop strainer, which is a must imho. worth adding this to the kit: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hop-strainer-p-83.html

I've since upgraded to a larger stainless pot but only after 12 months use of the Peco BIAB - it owed me nothing and I transplanted the element from the Peco into the stainless pot.

Yeah, I've got it and I'm pretty pleased with it. The element can get gunked up and scorch the wort, so should be cleaned spotlessly between brews. It doesn't come with the HBC copper hop strainer so it is worth buying that as well. The strainer works well with whole leaf hops, but does block with pellets, so I also use these paint strainers as a hop sock when using them. Other than that, it does everything it is suppose to - the bag has a fine mesh and is very strong, the chiller works well though you need to get some adaptors to attach it to your hose. The element holds a rolling boil at 30L, and the plastic doesn't soften much when it heats up, so yeah, it is very much fit for purpose. I'd say it is the cheapest and simplest way to get into full-size AG batches, and the quality of my beer has been a massive step up from kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
@IainM you said " the chiller works well though you need to get some adaptors to attach it to your hose"

I was wondering about that. I guess I'll need "stuff" to connect the chiller to the water. I've got a garden hose: what else would I need?

Also, I assume that this boiler is big enough to produce ~22l of wort? i.e. about the same as I was getting from a kit

@IainM you said " the chiller works well though you need to get some adaptors to attach it to your hose"

I was wondering about that. I guess I'll need "stuff" to connect the chiller to the water. I've got a garden hose: what else would I need?

Also, I assume that this boiler is big enough to produce ~22l of wort? i.e. about the same as I was getting from a kit

You can get compression fittings and hose connectors from any DIY store. The boiler is easily big enough to do a 22L batch. I think the biggest I've done was 25L after the boil.

You can get compression fittings and hose connectors from any DIY store. The boiler is easily big enough to do a 22L batch. I think the biggest I've done was 25L after the boil.
Cool cheers

I got basically the same kit from Geterbrewed, and added the hop filter from HBC after the first couple of uses, it all works very well for what it is, and a great price.

Only problem is that after only a few uses I already want to upgrade a few bits, but that's the kit junkie in me.

Can the boiler temperature be easily controlled for mashing ?

No, the element is on or off, but for a straightforward single stage mash it doesn't matter:

You heat until your desired strike temp is acheived (say 72°C) then turn off the element, add the bag and stir in your grain. Adding the grain lowers the temp so you start your mash at 67°C.

Pop the lid on, cover with an old blanket, duvet cover etc to insulate and hold the temp as constant as you can for 60-90min mash.

Then following your mash you remove the covers, lid and grain bag ready for the boil.

No need to heat the element during the mash.

After mulling over which way to go...and taking into account the fact that the missus probably would not sanction a Grainfather....this looks a good first step into 23ltr scale AG.

All the above comments seem to refer to mashing in the boiler.

What's the benefit, if any, of one of those separate, insulated (picnic box) mash tuns?

As ever, thanks in advance for advice given.

i have this but i got all the bits from ebay. i tried 1nce biab but it did not go well so i built a mashtun out of a FV with a ball vaulve and some inulation wrap from bnq and ot works flawlessly

My preference:

1) boil
2) drain into tun/mash (£24 - 28 ltr picnic box.....not drilling....just siphoning from copper manifold)
3) drain into boiler/sparge
4) boil/hop/boil
5) drain into FV

I need a boiler, a tun, coppery bits (including a cooler).

Any dissent, alternatives or suggestions afore I get busy?

:thumb:

Back