• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted wort chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I need a wort chiller to fit in a 5gallon fermenting vessel, hoping someone on here might part with one cheap, lol!!!

is it for temp control during fermentation, or post boil chilling in preparation for pitching?
if the former check out ebay for ex chest chiller stainless steel square product coils for £10-£15
if the latter a diy job is very easy with a coil of microbore off the shelf just use a small brake pipe bender to form tight 90 degree bends...

afaik copper isnt considered a 'friendly' metal for yeast and as such is probably best avoided in the FV, copper is generally toxic to plants, and yeast has some plant like qualities.. (Im no microbiologist so am not speaking with authority onthe subject, and suggest you read further until happy with your plans yourself.).

Ah thanks for that. It's for post boil cooling down to pitch temp.
I guess I should do the DIY but was hoping to avoid it......

I started or with one of these and found it to be effective and well built if you really want something off the shelf.
I now use the stainless steel Braumeister one and find that it is much easier to clean-up even us not done immediately; you can buy in SS as well but someone else might be able to recommend a specific one suitable for your kettle.

I've got a spare brand new one that came with my bulldog brewer, just like the one below. You can have it for £20 if you're ever in Cambridge.

100008820-origpic-9a3780.jpg

I made my own out of 10metres of 10mm copper pipe wrapped round a paint tin. Only cost £20, plus that way you can make it the exact dimensions you need for your kettle.

20170717_230011.jpg

Latest posts

Back