pot height above burner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner

Reaction score
I have a large gas ring that I purchased from e bay that I use to brew on. The base of the pan is about 50mm/2 inches above the tip of the gas flames, is this to high? I seem to remember that hottest part of the flame is at the tip of the flame, should I lower the pan supports or just leave well alone?

Hello Gunner, I am not an expert on this so treat what I say with caution. I have a 7.5 gas ring in a frame. The frame is not adjustable and the ring is about 63mm ish below the base of the kettle. I use propane, but for a while I did use butane. I think the propane is better but never did any tests to prove it. I mention this because I have the thought the flame from the two gases may be a bit different. For a more expert view perhaps you could contact the people where you get your gas from, I have found them very helpful in the past whenever I wanted some advice.

ATB - Jo

You are correct that the hottest part of a "blue" flame is the tip.

If it's burning with a "yellow" tip there are unburned carbon atoms present. The burner will be producing soot and it needs more air; however, too much air means that you are heating up excess air and that's also counter-productive.

Ideally, you should start off with too much air and then slowly reduce the amount of air intake until you get a very faint tinge of "yellow" at the tip of the flame.

As a general rule, with proper adjustment, most gas rings will run on both Butane and Propane.

The calorific value of Butane is higher than that of Propane so per cubic metre of gas it will produce more heat.

However, the Boiling Point of Butane is only -4 degrees celsius. A cylinder of Butane will stop boiling off sufficient gas to run a gas ring when the ambient temperature drops below about +4 degrees. In other words, in the UK using Butane outside in the winter is a waste of time.

The Boiling Point of Propane is at -44 degrees celsius so it will keep producing gas from the cylinder in all UK conditions.

In answer to your original post, if you can drop the level of your boiler to just brush the tips of the flames you will get more efficiency because the flames will be impinging directly on the metal and less heat will be wasted on heating up air that then escapes around the edges of the pot.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back