MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think you told me about notty before lol.
think you said as well notty is hard as chuck Norris in the bottom a bottle (once chilled)
mind not used notty for a few years...
could it be 'Go to yeast' for a few styles I try?
at aboot �£3.50 a sachet aint bad..
bri

You can buy notty from wilko for 1.70.

Its a great 'workhorse' yeast. You can use it as a hot weather yeast for ales and you can ferment it down at 14C to do pseudo lagers

I may have to invest in a mini fridge for this yeast crack.I have a notty still in the packet and must liable now before I forget.
Interesting thread as usual @Myqul 👍

Gerry

You may not have to invest in a brew fridge. It all depends how cold the coldest part of your home gets. My kitchen floor is 15C during the coldest part of winter and using my brewbag I wouldnt have to use much ice at all to get down to 14C

During my brewing of the saaz pale yesterday, instead of lifting the bag and pouring in some boiling top up water just before turning on the heat for the boil. I did it the other way around and just chucked in the boiling water and then lifted the bag before boiling. Effectively doing a mashout (I wasnt doing it on purpose I was being lazy)
I've just taken a sample before pitching the yeast and my efficiency was 88%. Which on the one hand is good news,as I have now discoved an easy technique to improve my efficiency. But on the other my bittering on the saaz pale is now waay down. I aimed for 0.5 (OG/IBU) but it's now 3.4 :(

I so enjoyed my brew evening yesterday I thought I'd do another one this eve. Normally I keep the mash at temp by putting the pot in the oven turned to 65C. This time I turned the oven to 165C without noticing and denatured the enzymes in the grain :doh:

Gerry,
I'm goingb to get one of them mini fridges.
two fridges (one tall, 1 small) in my man cavé. an upright fridge/freezer and a chest freezer down stairs n I til forget where the yeast is and hops.:doh:
bri

Gerry,
I'm goingb to get one of them mini fridges.
two fridges (one tall, 1 small) in my man cavé. an upright fridge/freezer and a chest freezer down stairs n I til forget where the yeast is and hops.:doh:
bri

It's like being back in school in the Chemistry lab.
No I need something myself as SWMBO is going to blow a fuse with me hahaha.:whistle:

During my brewing of the saaz pale yesterday, instead of lifting the bag and pouring in some boiling top up water just before turning on the heat for the boil. I did it the other way around and just chucked in the boiling water and then lifted the bag before boiling. Effectively doing a mashout (I wasnt doing it on purpose I was being lazy)
I've just taken a sample before pitching the yeast and my efficiency was 88%. Which on the one hand is good news,as I have now discoved an easy technique to improve my efficiency. But on the other my bittering on the saaz pale is now waay down. I aimed for 0.5 (OG/IBU) but it's now 3.4 :(

I so enjoyed my brew evening yesterday I thought I'd do another one this eve. Normally I keep the mash at temp by putting the pot in the oven turned to 65C. This time I turned the oven to 165C without noticing and denatured the enzymes in the grain :doh:

Oops, you made barley porridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peckham Best Bitter (Special/Best/Premium Bitter) 5L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.82 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.8 (Tinseth)

1.15kg Pale Malt
61g Crystal 60
61g Biscuit

8g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
7g Styrian Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
7g Styrian Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65.5°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 25°C with Nottingham/Wilko Ale yeast

After accidently making barley porridge yesterday, I'm doing a Styrian Golding Bitter today.

The Boil is on for this at the moment. It basically the mild from GH's bookBut I used medium crystal insteas of dark and I used Styrian Cardinal for the hop additions as I wanted to used it up. I aso wanted to see how the CML real ale yeast performs on a low OG beer seeing as it's so malty and I've got 1/2 a packet in my fridge

Cardinal Sin Mild 7L Stove Topper

Original Gravity (OG): 1.036 (°P): 9.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 3.77 %
Colour (SRM): 13.4 (EBC): 26.3
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Tinseth)

852g Pale Malt
143g Crystal 60
29g Chocolate

6.5g Styrian Cardinal (9.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
3g Styrian Cardinal (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with CML Real Ale Yeast

I'm currently making this, this evening

Noble Hop Blond 7L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 3.9 (EBC): 7.6
Bitterness (IBU): 27.5 (Tinseth)

1.521kg Pale Malt
103g Cara Blonde

9g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.7g Hallertau Mittlefrueh (4.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.7g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
4.2g Hallertau Mittlefrueh (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Mangrove Jack Californian Lager yeast

I'm making this tommorow

Guns, Bitches & Ming Campbell - Golden Ale 10L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.1
Bitterness (IBU): 23.9 (Average)

1.7kg Golden Promise Malt
191g Golden Syrup
167g Flaked Barley

6.3g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
6.6g East Kent Golding (6.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
4g East Kent Golding (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C for 24hrs then 20C for rest of fermentation with Gales yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

That sounds nice pretty simple straight forward one..

Whats the name about?

edit what does that yeast bring you?

Yes, quite simple. Nice and cheap too. The hop schedule is inspired by GW's Summer Lightning for BYOBRA. I recently bought a new sack of Golden Promise malt. I didnt buy any other specialty malts so when the last of the bits and bobs I've got left (a few hundred grams of med crystal, a bit of caramunich and a bit of biscuit) is gone I want to just use the GP with perhaps stuff I can buy from the shops; (flaked barley, cornflakes, golden syrup etc). So this is a bit of a test. I bough GP as I've read it's good for both ales and light (pseudo) lagers

The yeast is definatly quite fruity and very 'English tasting' ('Im cack at describing flavours), especially as I'm going to follow the Gales fermentation schedule again, 24 hours at 23.5C (or as near as I can manage without the brewbag) then the rest of fermentation at 20C.This shedule definately seems to bring the esters out.

The G.Syrup also has it's own unique flavour and also brings an added level of complexity of flavour. I've tried all the various elements seperately in other beers I've made (apart from GP as this is the first time I'm using it from a new sack) but this is the first time together like this. So I'm hoping for a deceptively simple reciepe which tastes more complicated that it looks

I same the name written on a poster when I was cycling down Brick Lane the other week and I liked it so I decided to call my beer it.

Yes, quite simple. Nice and cheap too. The hop schedule is inspired by GW's Summer Lightning for BYOBRA. I recently bought a new sack of Golden Promise malt. I didnt buy any other specialty malts so when the last of the bits and bobs I've got left (a few hundred grams of med crystal, a bit of caramunich and a bit of biscuit) is gone I want to just use the GP with perhaps stuff I can buy from the shops; (flaked barley, cornflakes, golden syrup etc). So this is a bit of a test. I bough GP as I've read it's good for both ales and light (pseudo) lagers

The yeast is definatly quite fruity and very 'English tasting' ('Im cack at describing flavours), especially as I'm going to follow the Gales fermentation schedule again, 24 hours at 23.5C (or as near as I can manage without the brewbag) then the rest of fermentation at 20C.This shedule definately seems to bring the esters out.

The G.Syrup also has it's own unique flavour and also brings an added level of complexity of flavour. I've tried all the various elements seperately in other beers I've made (apart from GP as this is the first time I'm using it from a new sack) but this is the first time together like this. So I'm hoping for a deceptively simple reciepe which tastes more complicated that it looks

I same the name written on a poster when I was cycling down Brick Lane the other week and I liked it so I decided to call my beer it.

I made something similar to what you have above last year almost an EKG golden SMASH with honey.. But I used either notty or I think it was a harvested yeast which was very neutral.. Beer was good but lacked a little something.. I think it needs that fruitier slightly more complex yeast just to fill in the gaps..

Never tried Golden syrup I might give something like this a try

I made something similar to what you have above last year almost an EKG golden SMASH with honey.. But I used either notty or I think it was a harvested yeast which was very neutral.. Beer was good but lacked a little something.. I think it needs that fruitier slightly more complex yeast just to fill in the gaps..

Never tried Golden syrup I might give something like this a try

As you know GS is partial invert syrup and definately brings something to the party. Cheap too.

@covrich I did a bit of googling whilst 'waiting for stuff '. Apparently it brings a light toffee note in flavour best in lightly hopped beers as heavy hopping can overwhelm the flavour. So a beer exactly like I'm brewing today is perfect for GS

@covrich I did a bit of googling whilst 'waiting for stuff '. Apparently it brings a light toffee note in flavour best in lightly hopped beers as heavy hopping can overwhelm the flavour. So a beer exactly like I'm brewing today is perfect for GS
If you like GS its more economical to buy by the gallon a I have before.Excellent value....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back