The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's dreadful - I've only got 11 packs left! Meanwhile, a recent brew made with their Cali Common is threatening to disappoint... six days in bottle and it ain't clear. If it had been US Pale or Real Ale I'd be tucking in by now.

So here we are, 3 days after writing that and the stuff is crystal clear. Amazing. Sampled one last night after a total of 9 days in bottle... amazing. I love CML yeast. No really, I love it.

I used CML yeast for the first time yesterday. In a Scotch Ale (I used US Pale).

OG was 1.077 and I ended up with 9ltrs in the FV I stead of the 10ltrs the recipe was based on. I used 1 sachet of CML yeast.

Given the lower volume but high OG, does 1 sachet sound about right?

I used CML yeast for the first time yesterday. In a Scotch Ale (I used US Pale).

OG was 1.077 and I ended up with 9ltrs in the FV I stead of the 10ltrs the recipe was based on. I used 1 sachet of CML yeast.

I'm not sure... all I can say is that I used 2 sachets for a recent brew and it performed exactly as if I'd used only one. All I gained was more yeast in the FV and bottle. Won't be doing that again.

Plenty i would say.
I know others sling in two packs,just seems a waste to me!

My cali common also took ages to clear...then proved nearly impossible to pour. Chilling the bottles for at least 24 hours seems to have all but cured this. I find it also gives a massive malty taste. ..I think these may need to be left for another month.. (with regular sampling of course!).
The American ale yeast seems great though...dropped clear after a few days.

My cali common also took ages to clear...then proved nearly impossible to pour. Chilling the bottles for at least 24 hours seems to have all but cured this. I find it also gives a massive malty taste. ..I think these may need to be left for another month.. (with regular sampling of course!).

Not used the CML yeast but I found Steam beers to be much more maltier type anyway.. maybe this will diminish with conditioning a little.. But I would say at least a quite malty beer is intended with the style??

Odd... my cali common went from cloudy to clear with the abruptness of flicking a switch, and the sediment clings resolutely to the bottom of the bottle even with just an hour in the fridge as per my first sample.

That's the malty bit solved...as for the pouring issue...chilling definitely helps...I'll bung a couple in the fridge for later and report back. ..
Checked my pale that's had a fortnight in the fv..1044 to 1006 gives nearly 5% abv and 86% attenuation, clear already and tastes quite delightful!

I've not tried a CaliCommon but he MJ CaliCommon yeast is quite malty too.

Just used the US Pale in a 1.047 stout. It was blowing through the blow-off tube next day. Two days in and I think it's almost done! Forget US05, Nottingham etc. You are wasting your money.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Just used the US Pale in a 1.047 stout. It was blowing through the blow-off tube next day. Two days in and I think it's almost done! Forget US05, Nottingham etc. You are wasting your money.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm inclined to agree. Made a stout on Sunday and despite having ten packs of CML in the fridge, I decided to use the pack of Notty which had been sitting in there for a while. 18 hours before the first sign of life... any of the CMLs I've used would have been on the last lap in that time. And if anything the end results with CML have been better, and all for half the price.

Not sure what to make of the next brew I've done with the ale yeast, tweaked Coopers Stout as follows:

Can Coopers Stout (1.7kg)
Can Coopers Dark Malt Extract (1.5kg)
Tin Black Treacle (0.454kg)

Brewed to 20L. Pitched both a sachet of CML Ale yeast and the Coopers Yeast. No hanging around, 24 hours in and the krausen had hit the lid but then it seemed to be all over after about five days. Fearing the worst I took a sample last night started at 1.052, now at 1.014-6 (hard to say exactly as it was a bit foamy). I'm guessing it's probably about as far as it's going to go? Does that sound reasonable? Didn't taste overly sweet.

I'm going to leave it for another week before bottling anyway, is it worth giving it a little stir to see if I can get another point or two?

Not used the CML yeast but I found Steam beers to be much more maltier type anyway.. maybe this will diminish with conditioning a little.. But I would say at least a quite malty beer is intended with the style??

Your right by style it is allot more malty than you would think. Allot of it is driven by the yeast. But that's where getting the malt bill and hop bill right is tricky. You've gotta balance what the yeast is going to do with the rest of your recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Cali i did came out nice. Malty and clean. Saaz and Chinook. Cheap and easy beer to brew.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've got some the Cali yeast from CML and was going to have a go at one. Not tried before, I have some Chinook, and also First Gold/Cascade/Ahtanum/Centennial/Azacca so currently deciding what to use...Definitely some Chinook and probably with either Ahtanum or First Gold but can't really decide.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've got some the Cali yeast from CML and was going to have a go at one. Not tried before, I have some Chinook, and also First Gold/Cascade/Ahtanum/Centennial/Azacca so currently deciding what to use...Definitely some Chinook and probably with either Ahtanum or First Gold but can't really decide.

Not at all, its very basic and i only used chinook in bittering as i didnt have enough saaz. I dont often use so little hops so pleased this came out so well. I cant remember what temp i fermented at exactly but i try for around 19c then raise it at the end for a day or 2. Cold crashed at 0c for 24 hours then i added finings and bottled 2 days later. Same sort of recipe i have used with the kolsch yeast.

mash @65c
mashout @75c

OG 1048 FG 1009
IBU 32
SRM 2.8

5kg lager malt
100g torrified wheat

15g saaz @70
15g chinook @70
15g saaz @15
15g saaz @0

Not at all, its very basic and i only used chinook in bittering as i didnt have enough saaz. I dont often use so little hops so pleased this came out so well. I cant remember what temp i fermented at exactly but i try for around 19c then raise it at the end for a day or 2. Cold crashed at 0c for 24 hours then i added finings and bottled 2 days later. Same sort of recipe i have used with the kolsch yeast.

mash @65c
mashout @75c

OG 1048 FG 1009
IBU 32
SRM 2.8

5kg lager malt
100g torrified wheat

15g saaz @70
15g chinook @70
15g saaz @15
15g saaz @0
Great thanks:)