Is it better to be too warm or too cold?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbsf

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whurr the ol' M5 crosses the ancient M4...
Hi all,

I'm just about to start my first kit (Coopers APA). I'm brewing it with the kit yeast and 1kg BKE for this one, to try and keep things as "standard" as possible for a first brew, but have a question.

I have two places to store the fermenter during the primary ferment - either in my utility room which has a small radiator near it or in my garage (integral to the house) which has no direct heating other than having the heat from the back of an upright freezer and the central heating boiler. Other locations are prohibited by STMBO.

If I were putting it into the Utility room, it would be near (less than 1ft) away from the radiator, so would probably shove a duvet or couple of pillows in between the two to avoid any direct heat transfer.

So my worry is that it might be a bit inconsistent in the utility (i.e. up to 22-23 when the heating kicks in, but down to maybe 15-16 at night) but the garage will be more constant, but probably around the 16-18 degree mark.

Given that I don't have any heaters available (and would get shot if I were to spend any more on kit at this stage), which would be preferable?

Cheers, FatboySlimfast.

Tricky one. Most of my beers ferment at 18c 18-21 being ideal. To high 24+ and you will run the risk of fusel alcohol especially in the early stages of yeast growth. But remeber fermentation is exothermic so a temp of 22-23 might push it higher. I would be tempted to give it ago in the utility room in a hope that because it cools at night the actual temp of the wort may be around the ideal 20-21c. If you ferment to cold you don't get as much ester production which gives ale its fruity flavours. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for your help...I was wondering what the downsides to either would be. Is the variance in temperature an issue?

Perhaps I could knock the heating temp down a degree or two (see if STMBO notices) and then increase the times it is on for, to save things for varying quite as much...

Incidentally, and unawaredly (is that a word?) I've just watched your videos on TC, so will be giving that a go on the weekend as well, although only the 1 gallon for now. Any tips regarding temps for that?

fbsf said:
Incidentally, and unawaredly (is that a word?) I've just watched your videos on TC, so will be giving that a go on the weekend as well, although only the 1 gallon for now. Any tips regarding temps for that?

:wha: :wha: :wha:

Someone made a video of me making TC :wha: :wha:

Or is there an imposter :lol:

Not Me I am afraid.

Yes knocking the temp down to 21 would be a good idea :thumb:

Ah Alemans TC

Oh please don't confuse me with the brewing god :nono: :nono: I just use some of his recipes.

Hi fbsf.

I have mine [Coopers bitter] bubbling away quite merrily on the landing at the moment it's near a rad but it's summer and maybe on for an hour at night. Other than that it's got no direct heat on or in it. I have an immersion heater but only use that in the winter. One suggetion to throw an idea at you is have you got an old quilt or an old dressing gown. I have wrapped the fv up in said items and they have fermented fine.

Heating on in the summer :shock:

Summ...er-what? Oh, yes, that thing we saw for the week in May - I remember!

Currently the CH is set at 16-17 degrees, so doesn't come on a lot anyway. I think I'll go with the utility room and an old dressing gown - STMBO seems to have far too many anyway, and keep an eye on the temp on a late afternoon (probably when it will be at it's warmest) to make sure it isn't getting too warm.

Cheers for the advice, looking forward to (kit) brew day No.1 on Sat!

Latest posts

Back