Yeast...Mangrove jack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Eh Up,

I am always on the look out for improvements and stumbled upon Mangrove jack yeasts. I have tried to use US05 a few times but found it to be a right handful to deal with, it takes an age to ferment out and I struggle to get it to drop out of suspension. The last time I used it, after 10 days in the fermenter it had got to its supposed final gravity 2 days at 1010. I added finnings and racked to 9 gallon casks, it then started again in the casks whilst in the 11 degree chiller. I lost 5 casks worth of beer as it popped the shives after 2 weeks...I tested the beer and it had dropped 4 points to 1006. Another brewer in Sheffield also had the same problem and he wrote off an entire brew as all his casks popped their shives. We have both reverted to S04 for our respective brews. (Boring I know, but manageable and as I only brew once a month a good choice for dried yeast)

When I have managed to get it to clear, I have always appreciated its ability to bring hops forward and be a clean fermenting yeast.

Reading the blurrb from Mangrove Jack, The West Coast Ale yeast is a top fermenter, attenuates well and is a high floculator. It also states that it enhances hops and malt flavours (which is ideal for me). Reviews on a yankee brewing forum states that its better than WLP001, US05. I have read on this forum that a few members have tried it but not many have posted their results, I can only therefore assume that its rubbish!! I would love for it to be brilliant!!

I have recently experienced a similar problem with their Bavarian Wheat yeast. I don't think I will be using it again.

I brewed a citra smash with it a few weeks ago. Kegged it Saturday night, not very clear but my beers never are :roll:

Initial tasting was that the beer is very thin, but that is likely down to sparge temp being too low or my recipe wasn't great.

Back