Is it too warm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green0

Reaction score
Sorry this is prob answered somewhere else here but still finding my way around.

I've just added all the ingredients together from a wilko's pilsner kit and am a bit concerned its too warm to add the yeast at 26 degrees.

What should do ? Just wait, add it now or is there an easy way to bring the temp down?

This is only my forth batch so very new to it all.

Ta.

Can I add ice? Or will this water it down too much Don't want a load of gnats wee.

You could pack it around the fermenter, but would be cautious about infecting your brew. I gently stirred mine frequently with sterilized stirrer, each time replacing lid, as I was waiting for it to hit 23 & wanted to go to bed, I think this speeded the cooling up a tad.

Wonder if anybody else has tips, it can't be just us that have had this problem.

26c is far too high and you will end up with all manner of off flavours.You should aim for 18-20c

A converted fridge(over ridden by an ATC or an insulated cabinet with a separate bucket containing ice or water changed regular could all be used. Try experimenting with a wort chiller if you are not on a meter

May be a good idea to refrain from brewing until it gets cooler

I did a couple of brews last Saturday any they went so fast that both have been bottled and are nearly fully carbonated already. The primary fermentation only took 3 days.
They were left at room temp, which was about 25c. Tried a couple and they seem fine. A couple more days and they will move into the beer fridge.
I must say though that I will probably wait until it gets a bit cooler before doing the next batch, or as marmite says, invest in a fermentation fridge.

Well it's all kicked off now so fingers crossed it'll be ok, I'll just have to move it about to try and keep the temp down as there's zero chance of me putting a special fridge in (she's already got the hump with all my brewing gear as it is).

So Lager uses a different yeast and needs to be cooler than lager then?

So can someone remind me of the ideal temps as all my instructions get binned as soon as my backs turned..

Ta

Well it's all kicked off now so fingers crossed it'll be ok, I'll just have to move it about to try and keep the temp down as there's zero chance of me putting a special fridge in (she's already got the hump with all my brewing gear as it is).

So Lager uses a different yeast and needs to be cooler than lager then?

So can someone remind me of the ideal temps as all my instructions get binned as soon as my backs turned..

Ta

Lager 12-14 c ale 18 -22 ish buy a cheap fridge from gumtree for a tenner . I got a timer from asda for three pounds set it for 15mins every hour keeps it at 12-14 all the time. :p

Lager 12-14 c ale 18 -22 ish buy a cheap fridge from gumtree for a tenner . I got a timer from asda for three pounds set it for 15mins every hour keeps it at 12-14 all the time. :p

Sounds good, maybe I'll give it a go but would have to set it up in the summerhouse or garage due to limited space in the house.

Sounds good, maybe I'll give it a go but would have to set it up in the summerhouse or garage due to limited space in the house.

My set up is in the garage . Lager can smell a little at first but will get better with time .but if you dry hop that also nutaralize the sulphur smell and Lager in to fridge for a month or two helps too .good luck . :D

Back