Brewdog at Tesco

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place, however
While enjoying my shopping:doh: at my local Tesco this morning i came accross Brewdog 5AM and Dead Pony at £1.75 :thumb::thumb:, needless to say a few entered my shopping trolley:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Not seen it on sale before in Tesco

BrewDog actually produce a beer for Tesco's Finest range called Double American IPA. It's their Hardcore IPA but sells for around £2-2.35 a bottle. Happy days.

They do like their hops, that's for sure. I have a list of them entered into BrewTarget ready for me to have a crack at.

They have produced a handful of beers that are easier on the hops. Candy Kaiser is their take on an Altbier and it's a very nice and sessionable beer.

5AM Saint is a beautiful beer. Certainly a very hoppy aroma, but not very bitter at all. Dead Pony is one of the best IPAs for my money you can get at that ABV.

Hve you tried them before? Are you considering making either from the brewdog bible?

Never tried either myself. Brewdog beers usually look too hoppy for me
Love the stuff. Our daughter lives over near Epsom in Surrey and the local pub does both Dead Pony and 5AM on tap:thumb::thumb:
Tend to spend a bit of time there:mrgreen:

Hve you tried them before? Are you considering making either from the brewdog bible?

Never tried either myself. Brewdog beers usually look too hoppy for me

Ahh, Myqul, there's hope for you yet. I was into dark ales more malty etc. But now have a taste for highly hopped IPA's. Doesn't mean you have to say goodbye to porters and stouts. It's a bit like tea & coffee, both good , both have their place.

If you drink a hoppy IPA then drink a porter or a stout (I was going to add abbey beer but they're a bit high abv% for your tastes? :oops:) It really brings out the flavour of the porter/stout. The contrast of the second beer is enhanced :grin:

There's a thread about the place with a link to some study that reckoned that those who like IPA's show similar traits to psychopaths :lol:

I have in fact been making and drinking pales recently but not as hoppy as IPA's. I agree after drinking a pale ale drinking a porter or stout really brings out the dark grain flavours

There's a thread about the place with a link to some study that reckoned that those who like IPA's show similar traits to psychopaths :lol:

I have in fact been making and drinking pales recently but not as hoppy as IPA's. I agree after drinking a pale ale drinking a porter or stout really brings out the dark grain flavours

Is the level of hops something to do with psyco....what-sit-ma-bob?

steering back on topic, does that explain brewdog's marketing?

A hoppy burp is the gift that keeps on giving :whistle:

Is the level of hops something to do with psyco....what-sit-ma-bob?

steering back on topic, does that explain brewdog's marketing?

A hoppy burp is the gift that keeps on giving :whistle:

Steering back off topic, I did look, but for the life of me I can't find the thread - lets just say your a nutter, D_o_J, and leave it at that :D

Ahh, Myqul, there's hope for you yet. I was into dark ales more malty etc. But now have a taste for highly hopped IPA's. Doesn't mean you have to say goodbye to porters and stouts. It's a bit like tea & coffee, both good , both have their place.

If you drink a hoppy IPA then drink a porter or a stout (I was going to add abbey beer but they're a bit high abv% for your tastes? :oops:) It really brings out the flavour of the porter/stout. The contrast of the second beer is enhanced :grin:
yep its amazing how over the years your taste changes,up until around 5 years ago I liked the golden real ales and one of my top tipples was everards draught old original at 5.2 abv,drunk galllons of it over the last 20 years as its a staple in the local but then I got involved with my neighbours in a local real ale group, and every month we have a different meet.Thats when it happened and my mate always assured me it would.Now im hop mad and the beauty of it is that's where most all the different taste notes comes from.have to say I am now a convert and disciple of the hopped ale especially the AIPA,s :clap:

To be serious for a nano second, I like hop flavour but not bitterness. Tony51's technique of leaving the flavour/aroma hop debris in the FV for the time of fermentation is really working for me. It gives massive (sometimes too much) hop flavour but I can control the bitterness by just adding a low to medium bittering addition

I think the path to enlightenment is.....

fosters to water
water to carling
carling to stella
stella to 'real ale'
'real ale' to IPAs.

Now myqul's uncovered research that says when you like IPAs you're nuts.

So that's when your horizon expands (cos you're now loopy) and you try any style of beer you've not had before! (avoiding of course those from the big brewers!)

And lo - You understand brewdog. :shock:

Then you marvel at how they've got into the major supermarkets.....

It all boils (pun intended) down to the hops :lol:

So if you ever see Tesco's finest IPA at 9.2% it is your duty to buy a few! :whistle:

To be serious for a nano second, I like hop flavour but not bitterness. Tony51's technique of leaving the flavour/aroma hop debris in the FV for the time of fermentation is really working for me. It gives massive (sometimes too much) hop flavour but I can control the bitterness by just adding a low to medium bittering addition

I'd suggest you pop your hops in at flameout, no chill overnight then strain through paint strainer bag the following day and then pitch yeast.

You can always dry hop it you don't have enough hoppyness for your taste.

I'd suggest you pop your hops in at flameout, no chill overnight then strain through paint strainer bag the following day and then pitch yeast.

You can always dry hop it you don't have enough hoppyness for your taste.

I like! Normally I either do hop tea or micro boil. Might try that out too. When you say flame out I take it you mean 80C?

I think the path to enlightenment is.....

fosters to water
water to carling
carling to stella
stella to 'real ale'
'real ale' to IPAs.

Now myqul's uncovered research that says when you like IPAs you're nuts.

So that's when your horizon expands (cos you're now loopy) and you try any style of beer you've not had before! (avoiding of course those from the big brewers!)

And lo - You understand brewdog. :shock:

Then you marvel at how they've got into the major supermarkets.....

It all boils (pun intended) down to the hops :lol:

So if you ever see Tesco's finest IPA at 9.2% it is your duty to buy a few! :whistle:

D_o_J's path to nirvarna or is that to the darks side?

To paraphrase yoda

"AG is the path to the darkside. Beer leads to kits. Kits lead to extract. Extract leads to AG" :lol:

I like! Normally I either do hop tea or micro boil. Might try that out too. When you say flame out I take it you mean 80C?

Flameout would be 100 deg and 80 deg is when the hops stop bittering.

It all depends on how many ibu's you're ok with, the AA of the hops and the amount of hops you put in.

50g of galaxy at 16% aa for 5 mins boil gives 30.5 ibu.
or for a 2 minute boil gives 12.9 ibu.

as your prefer flavour/aroma over bitterness you need longer wort contact times at lower temps.

you will get Ibu's added from 100 deg to 80deg but my calc can't work that out as it will depend on the cooling rate.

Not sure if this is the right place, however
While enjoying my shopping:doh: at my local Tesco this morning i came accross Brewdog 5AM and Dead Pony at £1.75 :thumb::thumb:, needless to say a few entered my shopping trolley:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Not seen it on sale before in Tesco

Brewdog are probably only where they are now because of Tesco, ironic given their "punk credentials" and Tesco being the ultimate corporate entity of our times.

£1.75 is pretty good but Morrisons are doing 4 x 330ml cans for £5.43, or £1.36 a can. I know cans are very fashionable at the moment but I definitely think that highly hopped beers like Punk and Dead Pony taste much fresher out of a can. :smile:

�£1.75 is pretty good but Morrisons are doing 4 x 330ml cans for �£5.43, or �£1.36 a can. I know cans are very fashionable at the moment but I definitely think that highly hopped beers like Punk and Dead Pony taste much fresher out of a can. :smile:
:oops::oops: i told a porky-it's £1.79 a bottle. Grabbed some Punk IPA today:thumb:they also have a Milk Stout but dessisted that one.

Latest posts

Back