BeerCat Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed the English IPA from the bible and wondering what to dry hop with? Recipe is Challenger and East Kent Goldings so i am thinking either the EKG or Fuggles? Any help welcome as its the first time i have brewed this. I threw a Goldings Hop sachet in at start of fermentation so high hopes with this one. Will have a taste after lunch and check the gravity.

The Doppelbock i brewed is undrinkable, maybe i burned the grains or wort or both. Either way an expensive waste of time but will try again soon.
Also did a 5l Cascade extract brew which is extremely cack. I have 3 thermometers all giving different readings which i doubt helps neither does starting a brew when half cut. :doh:

The English IPA has quite a lot of hops added late and I doubt you will get much value out of a dry hop. I stand to be corrected, as ever, BTW, due to my relative ignorance.

The English IPA bears little resemblance to a US style IPA with a lot of "C" hops.

I have done slight variants on the ESB recipe, which I now regard as pretty "bomb proof" for getting you a great old-fashioned strong bitter type beer.

The English IPA has quite a lot of hops added late and I doubt you will get much value out of a dry hop. I stand to be corrected, as ever, BTW, due to my relative ignorance.

The English IPA bears little resemblance to a US style IPA with a lot of "C" hops.

I have done slight variants on the ESB recipe, which I now regard as pretty "bomb proof" for getting you a great old-fashioned strong bitter type beer.

I was hoping someone may say that. :thumb:

Sample tasted very promising. Strong 6.3%. Really like the brews i have done with Ringwood so far. Just a shame i mislabeled some of my yeast in the fridge. Will have to use some slurry next time.

California Common later with any luck.

Sample tasted very promising. Strong 6.3%. Really like the brews i have done with Ringwood so far. Just a shame i mislabeled some of my yeast in the fridge. Will have to use some slurry next time.

What did you like about the ringwood yeast anddid you need to do lots of rousing etc?

What did you like about the ringwood yeast anddid you need to do lots of rousing etc?

I roused the BIPA once and forgot to do the IPA. Both ended at 1010. Hard for me to pick out anything in particular but the BIPA is a really nice clean beer, probably my best so far. I increased the temps for a few days before bottling so i don't know if that helped. Have a feeling Shipyard APA is brewed with it which i am gonna have a crack at soon. I will try the WLP001 again next to see if i can tell the difference.

California Common is also on my "To Brew" list. Others not done before include:

Strisselspalt Single Hop Ale, except with Northern Brewer for some bittering.
Clone of Youngs Special London Ale.

And the ones done before:

Dry Stout
Old Ale
Cornish Tin Miners Ale

California Common is also on my "To Brew" list. Others not done before include:

Strisselspalt Single Hop Ale, except with Northern Brewer for some bittering.
Clone of Youngs Special London Ale.

And the ones done before:

Dry Stout
Old Ale
Cornish Tin Miners Ale

I think i chilled the wort too much before adding the last hop addition. Time will tell but plan to do it again when i get some peace. Was thinking about getting some spalt to try out. Have you done it before?

Just knocked this Strong Dark Belgium Ale recipe together;
Boiling to commence soon.

6l batch
570g Munich
1100g Maris Otter
60g Special B
200g Biscuit
50g Dark Candi Sugar
150g Golden Syrup

10g Saaz @60
10g Styrian @15
10g Styrian @0
1/2 star anise @110
1/8 tps cinnamon @10
3g orange peel @10
Protofloc @15
White Labs WLP570 Belgium Ale yeast

Should come in around 9%

Just knocked this Strong Dark Belgium Ale recipe together;
Boiling to commence soon.

6l batch
570g Munich
1100g Maris Otter
60g Special B
200g Biscuit
50g Dark Candi Sugar
150g Golden Syrup

10g Saaz @60
10g Styrian @15
10g Styrian @0
1/2 star anise @110
1/8 tps cinnamon @10
3g orange peel @10
Protofloc @15
White Labs WLP570 Belgium Ale yeast

Should come in around 9%

Looks like a Festive Beer to me!

The Strisselspalt hops were in the bargain basement from the Worcester HS for a quid in Feb of this year (2013 Harvest). I can't resist an offer like that and spent ages researching something to do with them (eventually brewed six months later).

I have no feedback as yet, as only brewed on 4th September, but I retain the "optimism of the ill-informed" on the outcomes.

Looks like a Festive Beer to me!

The Strisselspalt hops were in the bargain basement from the Worcester HS for a quid in Feb of this year (2013 Harvest). I can't resist an offer like that and spent ages researching something to do with them (eventually brewed six months later).

I have no feedback as yet, as only brewed on 4th September, but I retain the "optimism of the ill-informed" on the outcomes.

Thanks mate, i like your style. Fingers crossed with these, mine are experimental to say the least. Just bottled up my Troi Pistoles clone and its come in at a whopping 10.76%ABV. Was bubbbling a lot when i bottled it as well so not sure if that's a good sign or not lol. Tastes really smooth considering so will be opening one up at Xmas and if they are good will share some.
Also made another 5l batch with the excess runnings from the Cali Common, some spraymalt and candi sugar. No idea what its gonna be like either.

Doing a Rye IPA today using up some bits and pieces.

3.5kg MO
1.5 Rye
150g Crystal Rye
150g Cara Wheat

Bittered to about 45 IBU with Challenger
Then I have about 50g of Chinook, 25g of Citra and EKG and Sorachi
Has anyone used Sorachi as a late addition? Only used it in. Pseudo lager which was rank.
Could replace the bittering hops with Columus or Apollo but as they are pellets might not as got a blockage last time I used them.
Yeast will be Ringwood 1187 starter from slurry.

Dry Stout on the go. I am experimenting with upping the amount of RB. As its cold steeped i can get away with more

4kg Maris Otter 70.2%
1kg Flake Barley 17.5%
.7kg Roasted Barley cold steeped 12.3%
WLP004 Yeast starter
Bittered to 40IBU @60 with Challenger and EKG

Soaked the RB last night in 2.5l of water, left in garage then rinsed with approx 2l 75c to end up with 4l. Thats boiling away now reducing it to 2l which will add to the boil.
20mins left on the mash. Need to get brewing more as run out of stout and IPA.

Brewed a Jaipur clone today. Not sure how exact the recipe is but sure smelled good. This is me next brew planned for Boxing Day. Cold steeping the dark grains. I dont think you can go wrong doing this as is cuts down the conditioning time and smoothes out the beer. For my tastes at least. Have you done much cold steeping? @MyCul WLP004 yeast

oat milk stout.jpg

Brewed a Jaipur clone today. Not sure how exact the recipe is but sure smelled good. This is me next brew planned for Boxing Day. Cold steeping the dark grains. I dont think you can go wrong doing this as is cuts down the conditioning time and smoothes out the beer. For my tastes at least. Have you done much cold steeping? @MyCul WLP004 yeast

No I've never steeped the grains for stouts porters as I rather like the roasty flavours. I'm doing GH's smoked porter again just after xmas when I come back from my hols but have boosted the reciepe to 6%ABV. I going to use some golden syrup so I can fit all the grain in my pot

No I've never steeped the grains for stouts porters as I rather like the roasty flavours. I'm doing GH's smoked porter again just after xmas when I come back from my hols but have boosted the reciepe to 6%ABV. I going to use some golden syrup so I can fit all the grain in my pot

Will have to send you some beer see what you think. I do like the roastiness but i seem to prefer it cold steeped. May try 50/50. The other day i brewed my standard Stout and fermented 5l of it with Belgium Abbey ale,coriander, orange peel and some dark spray malt. Good to know you can have a beer to drink in 3 weeks though. The Porter i brewed which i thought was **** came out really nice after 2 months. Thing is i am not really that patient. I kknow it might not be trtaditional but i think i would prefger my Porter blacker rather than brown.

Will have to send you some beer see what you think. I do like the roastiness but i seem to prefer it cold steeped. May try 50/50. The other day i brewed my standard Stout and fermented 5l of it with Belgium Abbey ale,coriander, orange peel and some dark spray malt. Good to know you can have a beer to drink in 3 weeks though. The Porter i brewed which i thought was **** came out really nice after 2 months. Thing is i am not really that patient. I kknow it might not be trtaditional but i think i would prefger my Porter blacker rather than brown.

We'll have to do a bottle swap when mines ready in a couple of months time (I have Packaging.) The 'Belgium' stout sound very interesting. Porters can be black, especially if their a robust porter made with black malt. My smoked porter should be quite dark. I'l have to give cold steeping a go as I'm also impatient and am always running out of beer

We'll have to do a bottle swap when mines ready in a couple of months time (I have Packaging.) The 'Belgium' stout sound very interesting. Porters can be black, especially if their a robust porter made with black malt. My smoked porter should be quite dark. I'l have to give cold steeping a go as I'm also impatient and am always running out of beer

That would be awesome. Will try and find a decent courier in the meantime as the PO take the ****. Got the idea from this [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZ0aUCqjSY&t=1s[/ame] and this [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSb-_9woZk[/ame]

Split wort brewing sounds a lot better than party gyle. Which i tried unsuccesfully.
I do enjoy his videos, informative and really chilled out.

Irish Dry Stout

Not had the time to brew for the last 2 weeks so eager to crack on. Be heading outside to start soon and have a massive clear up. Ever since i spilled 20l of wort over the the garage floor had mice in there doing there business over my bench. Gonna have to empty it, scrub the floors and throw some malt away. Decided to do another stout after the success of my last one. I had almost given up on brewing dark beers but the change of yeast seems to have worked really well. Its also the first time i have got the correct mouthfeel. Normally they come out thin and far too roasty for my taste.
Its basically the classic 70/20/10 mix.

Irish Dry Stout BIAB no chill
20l batch
OG 1047
FG 1014
IBU 36.42
SRM 36.7

3.08 kg Maris Otter
0.88 kg Flaked Barley
44 kg Roast Barley

50 EKG @60
5g Fuggles @60
4 Vanilla pods @15
protofloc tablet @15

Mash 1 hour at 67c
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004 starter

Using RO water PH 7 with 1g of gypsum per 10l
Mashing in around 15l and dunk sparge 10l

As my boiler only holds about 22l full to the brim i normally end up with about 18l which i top up with water to drop the temp to at least 80c. Pitch the yeast the next day or maybe tomorrow evening.
Not sure whether to add a sachet of goldings hop powder at the start of fermentation like the St Peters kits. Also not really sure if the vanilla cuts through. I know i could soak some in vodka and add later but don't have enough or any vodka.

M8 can you confirm it 44 KG of Roasted Barley??

Back