Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Cascades are 6" 3 bines and 12" 2 bines. Wooohoo!!!!! Cross planted with Nasturtium to confuse the aphids. Feeding with B&Q tomato feed once a week,,,,,

I just wondered Is anyone naming their Hops?,,,, :oops:

Ours are Groot and Invanka.
I would put money on Groot (3bines) producing reliable quality hops. Invanka's (2bines)will look good but fail to actually do anything,,,
Maybe I should stick to brewing, :grin:

Hey there again. Two months since the rhizomes were buried and the plants look lovely.
I tied some garden line to the roof beams. The other end is attached to a bamboo sticks that i stuck deep into soil. Hopefully this would do the trick.
eb2a3b2ae563d98f65f95f1d73fa827d.jpg
f038b0ad3e10dbe943f8541c13a8e26e.jpg
322155ac4cd3f84722c6a3f03ccf0489.jpg
852625b05be4df283c3ac0fefb904b50.jpg

Over the next 3-4 weeks you should be looking at taking cuttings from your hops. Ive just checked the Tinterweb and there doesnt seem to be a lot of info, and what there is, is not very good. Search "Sarah Raven Dahlia Cuttings" exactly the same method I use and Ive taken 100`s of cuttings, with probably a 95% strike rate.

Our Cascades are 6" 3 bines and 12" 2 bines. Wooohoo!!!!! Cross planted with Nasturtium to confuse the aphids. Feeding with B&Q tomato feed once a week,,,,,

I just wondered Is anyone naming their Hops?,,,, :oops:

Ours are Groot and Invanka.
I would put money on Groot (3bines) producing reliable quality hops. Invanka's (2bines)will look good but fail to actually do anything,,,
Maybe I should stick to brewing, :grin:

Too early for "tomato feed". Just top dress with well rotted manure.

Oooops, oh well :doh: Sadly no well rotted manure up here, only hot steaming cow-pats,,,,

But, we will be digging out the composter tomorrow and use some of that minus our wormies.

Any organic matter will do. Hops are very hungry feeders and at this time of year whilst they are putting on the initial spurt, you cant feed enough

Hey there again. Two months since the rhizomes were buried and the plants look lovely.
I tied some garden line to the roof beams. The other end is attached to a bamboo sticks that i stuck deep into soil. Hopefully this would do the trick.
eb2a3b2ae563d98f65f95f1d73fa827d.jpg
f038b0ad3e10dbe943f8541c13a8e26e.jpg
322155ac4cd3f84722c6a3f03ccf0489.jpg
852625b05be4df283c3ac0fefb904b50.jpg

Here is a top tip...Tie a plant label around the stem of the hop bine with the name on..The reason is that if the name on the pot comes off you dont know what it is....2 years ago I had to throw away 20 plants becuase I wasnt 100% sure of the variety

Over the next 3-4 weeks you should be looking at taking cuttings from your hops. Ive just checked the Tinterweb and there doesnt seem to be a lot of info, and what there is, is not very good. Search "Sarah Raven Dahlia Cuttings" exactly the same method I use and Ive taken 100`s of cuttings, with probably a 95% strike rate.

I'd agree with that, the time to propagate from cuttings is now-ish when you have a surplus bine with about 4 or 5 leaf segments on it and they've still got the strong growth urge in them. I've planted in John Innes potting compost one year and a 50/50 perlite/vermiculite mix in another. Both years nearly all cuttings survived and I ended up being chief hop supplier to the village.

The trick is to keep the cuttings moist with a mist spray while they're taking root and keep the two leaves on each cutting off the plastic cutting tray or they'll rot. As soon as you see a bine take off from between the leaves then you've won and you can transfer to a small pot.

How high would a hop grown from a rhizome grow in it's first year? I've got a couple of Cascade just starting - they're in quite small pots at the moment but I'll be planting them out in their permanent home when the weather warms up a bit. Just wondered if I could get away with growing them up a tripod of some sort for the first year.

Cascade 02.jpg

Cascade 03.jpg

I reckon they could go up 20 feet, you can nearly see them growing,, when they get going, I use bean canes and grow then horizontal like runner beans, it works, my fuggles are on their 4th year now.
Regards

I don't think it matters too much what you grow them up in the 1st year, as everyone says year 1 is not about yield but establishing roots. You might end up with a tangled mess of bines on your temporary tripod, but the roots would develop and then next year you could decide what to do with your 20ft monsters.

Just wondered if I could get away with growing them up a tripod of some sort for the first year.

I was thinking about doing like this guy and growing them round and round a tripod. But have had a last minute change of plan and am now growing them up and over my shed.

10-Hops-02.png

10-Hops-03.png

Cheers guys, think I can easily manage a ten foot high tripod, so I'll see how that goes as a temporary measure, then attempt a higher more permanent job next year.

I accidentally nipped the growing shoot of one of mine. Will it continue to grow? There are a few more undamaged but i have to say its growing very slowly just like everything else in my PT.
No it'll stop growing but keep its foliage and stay green,its best to cut it to ground level and let the hop concentrate its energy on other shoots and may well send others up

Just found this photo on my phone from Autumn last year. It's the wild hop from down in our village and this is the most of it that I could get in one shot.

Just so you know what yours will look like in a few years! :grin:

hophedge.jpg

Back