blueberry mead? - in making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee117

Reaction score
ingredients;
1.2kg frozen blueberrys
400g raspberries
165,000 bee miles of honey (3lbs)
half a cup of suger
ebay special turbo yeast
yeast nutrient
1gallon demi

this is my first time making mead and i really like blueberrys, so i thought id make blueberry mead to see how it turns out, i can add picture is you like?

what could i do to improve my recipe? - and how do you think it will turn out?

also what could i make next any ideas would be awesome.

Photos taken today
86fd28ea6c5e4afbe2a5376e8614335f.jpg
e81f8f6b93d5742ccdfeb84849e360f7.jpg
9d82bf412eb58c60cbc496d615004430.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I love a bit of mead. My only question is regarding your yeast choice. If you look up "Bray's one month mead" he's done a bunch of research on how to get the best mead without having to age it for six months plus. He generally uses ale yeasts and has a specific nutrient schedule.

This one will be lovely with a bit of age though.

Thanks, I've never used any other kind of yeast apart from bread yeast and the one I got off ebay haha 😂

Dose the yeast impact the flavours much?

Looks good, what are you aiming for as a finishing gravity? I wish you luck, I made a blueberry mead earlier this year that still tastes like rocket fuel which is a shame.

Erm I'm not sure, I'm new to brewing haha, just trying it out. And thank you

Thanks, I've never used any other kind of yeast apart from bread yeast and the one I got off ebay haha 😂

Dose the yeast impact the flavours much?

Yes. Yeast selection in combination with fermentation temperature, temp stability and pitching rates affect the production of esters, fusel alcohols, dyacetal etc. Some yeasts have a clean profile leaving just the flavour of the honey and fruit. Others produce fruity or floral esters which may or may not be desirable.

Don't stress about it. You won't get it all perfect on the first try (or the next hundred for that matter), just trying to give you something to consider for the next attempt.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind

Update I have just tried a sample while racking it, the taste is pretty sharp can feel alcohol tingling cheeks and it has sort of a hint of blueberries overall I think this will be a nice batch?

I've stopped fermenting and adding some wine findings and 1/2 table spoon of citric acid

Sounds good. Will be better with a bit of age.

Better get the next batch on then. 😝

Sounds good. Will be better with a bit of age.

Better get the next batch on then. 😝
After 2 days it it has a really nice flavour when back swddtened (ignore labels haha) one of the nicest I have made so far
412640e83cbb56a1d038f8aca05a0319.jpg

Back