Greg hghes esb ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a note of which crystal you used?

I don't have a note and cannot be sure but checking my email account for previous orders it was most probably
Crystal Malt High Colour (200) supplied by brewuk.

It is a nice colour i have a glass in front of me now, even if it is darker than what was intended.

Actually, when I made it I also used crystal200 and mine was more or less the same colour. Mind you I did it deliberately as I'm not too fond of beer that looks like urine.

Thanks for that guys. My father-in-law has been asking if I have/can brew a red ale (nice and specific...) think he just means a bitter with a coppery/red colour as my current brews are a pale ale and brown ale. My first AG brew was an ESB with pale, victory, wheat and medium crystal. Might give this one a go with a darker crystal like you guys have.

Done 2 weeks at 20 degrees in the brew fridge and I think this ESB is going to be a belter.Gravity is higher than the book started at 1.050 and I have barrelled it today at 1.000 so 6.5% bit strong for me!!!!

I Roused the yeast 2 times during fermentation after reading about this yeast and it's turned out very clear too.
Anyone get high readings when doing this?

Following on from my previous post and purely in the name of science I dug out the minikeg I still have of this (kegged 6 months ago) and it is still excellent .

Guess how I will be spending this afternoon.
mines definitely not that colour at all

image.jpg

2 weeks after being in the fridge at 12 degrees and here we have it,it's a very nice moorish drink,tastes like Bass ale.If anyone's thinking of giving this a go,I carbed it up with 150g of sugar perfect balance.Be interesting to see what it's like in a month or 2 if it lasts😬

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

I am Thinking of making this my next brew, but do not have any Fuggle hops, could i substitute either First gold or Admiral in its place. Also would flacked wheat do inplace of Torrified Wheat

I used flaked oats instead of the wheat,and yes you could use Admiral instead of the fuggle,theres not that much of an aroma from this beer,its more a smooth light malty taste.

I am Thinking of making this my next brew, but do not have any Fuggle hops, could i substitute either First gold or Admiral in its place. Also would flacked wheat do inplace of Torrified Wheat

I forgot to mention could i use the CML american or british real ale yeast instead of the quoted yeast.

Back