Flaked Barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 52l mash-tun so I'm going to go with 20% using the 2 kilo popped in a dry pan with 3 kilo of Minch Pilsner Malt.
I'm going to layer the mash-tun with 1 kilo of pilsner on the base then add 1 kilo of popcorn then pilsner,popcorn and pilsner.
I've been messing with under letting from the Burco boiler to the mash-tun and haven't had any dough balls and my efficiency has increased by around 12% so I want to layer and underlet to avoid a stuck mash and try to blend all ingredients as best as possible.
First time so shall be interesting and hoping to get it done this week as I'm finishing shift this evening so have till Saturday night to get it sorted.

Cool :thumb:

I'm making a 5L stove topper. I'm using 81.05% Pale Malt, 17.04% Hippy Corn Flakes, 1.90% medium crystal. Magnum & Hallertau Mittellfruah hops

With pop corn I'm assuming 2kg of kernal's gives you 2kg of popped corn? It doesnt somehow gain/loss weight with the popping (silly question I know but I just can get my head around whether it would or not :oops: )

Cool :thumb:

I'm making a 5L stove topper. I'm using 81.05% Pale Malt, 17.04% Hippy Corn Flakes, 1.90% medium crystal. Magnum & Hallertau Mittellfruah hops

With pop corn I'm assuming 2kg of kernal's gives you 2kg of popped corn? It doesnt somehow gain/loss weight with the popping (silly question I know but I just can get my head around whether it would or not :oops: )
No won't gain any but shall increase volume by around 10 times it's size.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Yes a lightning fast response from M at 1 minute! It's a wonder he has the time taking a break from stoking his hand restored victorian steam traction engine that powers his brew fridge.....

I'm going to get myself down H&B on monday and buy some flaked barley to add to my monday brew pale ale to see how it turns out :thumb:
The one light brew i put F Barley into will not clear,never had any problems ever before. Will use it in dark beers from here on in.

I dont really mind if it's not clear. Gunge swears by the stuff, so two opposing opinions on FB. I think I'll still give it a go, anyway
I am not so worried about it myself but no so keen on giving away cloudy or rather murky looking stuff:nono::grin:

What yeast did you use as this might have been a factor. Iirc gunge is keen on notty and CML real ale yeast. Notty in particular, clears really well

I incorporate FB into every brew without giving it a thought, these days - as if it's as important as the base malt! All I've ever used is the H & B stuff and not one, even an extremely pale lager-type effort has had the merest hint of haze. I've used Notty, Real Ale, US Pale and Cali Common yeasts with exactly the same results re clarity.

Hope this comes out ok... just took a pic of my computer screen thru a bottle of bitter. There's 400g of FB in that batch! Yeast used was CML US Pale...

20171001_112058.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back