Blackberry stout recipes recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Decided I need a nice stout for Christmas and as I have an enormous overload of blackberry's, I thought it would be nice to combine the two!

But I have never brewed a stout / porter before so I am after recommendation for a good kit and also help on how much and how to / when to add blackberry fruit for the brew.

Can anyone offer any experience or advice please?

Cheers
Nick

I did an extract with steeped grains and de frosted blackberries in a stout last year and it was a decent drink.One i will repeat as we have a glut of berries this year!.
Can't vouch for a kit as i havn't done one.If interested in the recipie just shout:thumb:

Wouldn't you be worried about wild yeast on fruit you put into beer? Or would you do a boil to kill it off?

Bramling Cross is a good hop for imparting dark fruit flavours, I've made a dark mild with BC as the single hop for both bittering and aroma, and it came out lovely.

Wouldn't you be worried about wild yeast on fruit you put into beer? Or would you do a boil to kill it off?

Bramling Cross is a good hop for imparting dark fruit flavours, I've made a dark mild with BC as the single hop for both bittering and aroma, and it came out lovely.
If i do a beer with fruit,it's frozen and defrosted so any nasties should be killed.Not had any probs as yet!:whistle::lol:

I did a blackberry porter (all grain) worked out really well.

I froze the blackberries first. I used 2.5 KG in a 20L batch. I let the beer ferment for 3 days and then racked onto the thawed blackberries in secondary.

Hi Nick,

I can't offer any expertise on the blackberry side of things, its something I'd been wondering about myself lately. Be interesting to see what further advice comes up. As far as kits go though, Woodfordes Nog is a nice porter/old ale kit that always come out nicely. Brews up in much the same way as the Wherry you have on the go though takes a little longer to mature- about right for Christmas I'd say!

Steve

Back