Golden Ale Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Going to have a go at this one at the weekend, just using up some hops I have left in the freezer. Anyone used that hop combo before?

3.75 kg Crisp Maris Otter
0.19 kg Flaked Oats
50g EKG Leaf Hops (Alpha Rating 6.5%) @ 60 mins
5g Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
25g Cascade Pellet Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 8.0%) Steep for 15 mins at flameout
Gervin Nottingham Yeast (1 pack)
25g Cascade Pellet Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 8.0%) dry hop for 5 days

Target ABV 4.2%

I did one with EKG, Fuggles and cascade. I pitched the yeast too hot and it isn't bitter enough, but as far as I can see the flavours go well together.

Ten or twenty years ago when a lot of the "new" radical American hops never existed, plenty of brewers used to play about adding Cascade to their English hopped beers. The flavour was quite a novelty, but you quickly tired of the same flavour popping up in all sorts of beers.

So it did go together ... if you liked it and wasn't fed up of it.

But you are doing something different and going with the "modern" American trend of overloading the hops. You might find some of these older hops (like Goldings and Cascade) at those levels (50IBU or so) might make for an unpleasantly bitter beer, especially so if expecting to drink young which at a session beer strength is probably the intention.

Ten or twenty years ago when a lot of the "new" radical American hops never existed, plenty of brewers used to play about adding Cascade to their English hopped beers. The flavour was quite a novelty, but you quickly tired of the same flavour popping up in all sorts of beers.

So it did go together ... if you liked it and wasn't fed up of it.

But you are doing something different and going with the "modern" American trend of overloading the hops. You might find some of these older hops (like Goldings and Cascade) at those levels (50IBU or so) might make for an unpleasantly bitter beer, especially so if expecting to drink young which at a session beer strength is probably the intention.

Yes, you're right I do want to drink it young that's the plan.

Brewsmith works the IBU out at 33 though which I hope won't be too bitter for the style. The Cascade is all added after flameout or as dry hops. So hopefully won't be too bitter.

Just hope the flavours work. I'm hoping for a crisp, dry, citrussy quaffer.

Yes, you're right I do want to drink it young that's the plan.

Brewsmith works the IBU out at 33 though which I hope won't be too bitter for the style. The Cascade is all added after flameout or as dry hops. So hopefully won't be too bitter.

Just hope the flavours work. I'm hoping for a crisp, dry, citrussy quaffer.
Sorry, I read 15 minutes boil, not 15 minutes steep.

Still get 45IBU which is quite a lot. Not aging the hops though. Have you enabled the estimation of IBUs from steep hops? Options, bitterness. I think the option is set to zero while the estimates are played with. 50% is recommended (90C and above) but I was using 15% and steeping at 80C or lower.

Sorry, I read 15 minutes boil, not 15 minutes steep.

Still get 45IBU which is quite a lot. Not aging the hops though. Have you enabled the estimation of IBUs from steep hops? Options, bitterness. I think the option is set to zero while the estimates are played with. 50% is recommended (90C and above) but I was using 15% and steeping at 80C or lower.

Ooo, no not done that. Will have a play, cheers.

Ooo, no not done that. Will have a play, cheers.

Just had a look and it's set to 50% already giving me 5.2 IBUs from the steep hops.

But, I had copied my EKG schedule across incorrectly. It's actually 30g at 60 mins and then 20g at 30 mins. That then gives 33 IBUs in total.

Just had a look and it's set to 50% already giving me 5.2 IBUs from the steep hops.

But, I had copied my EKG schedule across incorrectly. It's actually 30g at 60 mins and then 20g at 30 mins. That then gives 33 IBUs in total.
I knew there was another setting in Beersmith ...

"Options", "Advanced Options", "Steeping Efficiency"

Set mine to 15% for reasons I don't remember! You'll have to hunt around the Web for recommendations and reasons for it being there. But I sure it's to do with zero minute hops having an effect on bittering. Will explain why we don't agree on IBU totals.

... Must figure out why Beersmith makes very low judgements of beer colour too (along with Brun Water which obviously uses similar calculations for this).

Was reading an article on line last night about hopstand times and increase of IBU's it was a BYO article if you google that.

Cheers! This one you mean? http//byo.com/malt/item/2808-hop-stands

That's possibly where peebee got his 15% figure from as well?

That is useful. And confirms to me that a 15 min hop stand is right for what I want to achieve as is the 50/50 split of hops between hop stand and dry hopping. Thank you foxy!

Edit: Also as Peewee suggests to cool to 80'c before steeping to reduce the amount of essential oils lost.

Latest posts

Back