Ordering grain in advance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
How far in advance of a brew day would you comfortably order un-crushed grains?

I'm due to place an order and would like to make use of the postage costs.

As long as it is stored in a cool dry environment uncrushed grain should last well over a year.

I only buy crushed and order for a whole year. I have grain that is 12 months old.its all sealed up. At the beginning I was hitting over 80% efficiency whilst now I get just over 70%. Some companies charge more for over 30kg so be careful of that

As IainM stated above, you're good for months if not years if you store somewhere cool, dry and sealed. The latter being especially important if you store in a garage or shed (unless you fancy some pet mice!)

For a base pale malt, I'd always go for a 25kg sack as it's the most versatile and cost effective.

The maltmiller will supply 25kg of grain in 5kg sealed bags - so you can order 25kg of crushed grain but it arrives in 5 sealed bags each of 5kg.

Helps to keep the pre-crushed grain fresh until you need it as its sealed in its own 5kg bag. There is a small additional charge of £3 per 25kg - you select it from the options before adding to basket.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=19

Latest posts

Back