Higher gravity points

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Evening,

I made my first proper all grain brew yesterday! calculated the recipe using beersmith, but due to my own error i am guessing i got a higher gravity reading this morning after it cooled over night! i got a reading of 1.082 on a 19l batch
I was aiming for a finishing abv of 7.4% which i think i over shot by a way, the question is can i dilute the brew after fermentation when i transfer to secondary for bottling and what is best simple cooled boiled water?

Incidently i tinkered with Beersmith this evening and its showing me the correct estimated abv, basically i added 0.5kg too much pale malt.Efficiency was set at 72%
Still learning and i will triple check beersmith next time. :lol:

But as a whole day went great, didn't screw anything up and cooler mash tun worked great.

Cheers D

Evening,

I made my first proper all grain brew yesterday! calculated the recipe using beersmith, but due to my own error i am guessing i got a higher gravity reading this morning after it cooled over night! i got a reading of 1.082 on a 19l batch
I was aiming for a finishing abv of 7.4% which i think i over shot by a way, the question is can i dilute the brew after fermentation when i transfer to secondary for bottling and what is best simple cooled boiled water?

Incidently i tinkered with Beersmith this evening and its showing me the correct estimated abv, basically i added 0.5kg too much pale malt.Efficiency was set at 72%
Still learning and i will triple check beersmith next time. :lol:

But as a whole day went great, didn't screw anything up and cooler mash tun worked great.

Cheers D

Yes, cooled boiled water ~ 2L should get you nearer target ABV.

Final Gravity was 1.010 which will give me a ABV of 9.5% roughly, 85% Eff
might just bottle it as is and see :lol: i have some 330ml bottles! might transfer half and dilute and then leave half at full strength! think that will be alright if i take the right precautions.

D

Good idea to do a half and half. 9.5% might be a bit too hot depending on the style - what is it?

Back