Final Gravity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivovar

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I have been brewing an Ultimate Brewery Classics Czech Pilsner Kit.

The ferment started promptly after about 16hrs of pitching my yeast,
and the instructions say it should be around 4-6 days fermenting. ...

Tomorrow will be 14 days, and it is still fermenting VERY slowly, a bubble maybe once every 2 mins in my airlock.

The Specific Gravity appears to have stopped at a higher value than anticipated... 1.016 - 1.018 to my eyes, giving me a ABV of under 3%
(1.040 OG to 1.018 FG)

My question is ... Shall I leave it a bit longer if it is still bubbling slowly, or should I wait until there is no activity in my airlock despite being a long ferment/

I reckon the answer is ... BE PATIENT! .. ;-)

Cheer! and Good Health!

UBCCPL_Hydro.jpg

Airlock activity is not a 100% guarantee of fermentation occurring, what does the kit say about the target final gravity? how far of it are you.. Make sure the temp is at or around the guideline in the instructions, to cold and fermentation will slow down or stop. Give the brew another two days at a warmer temp if need be and check the gravity again. Ignore kit instructions for the duration time on a ferment, there is to many variables involved which will speed it up or slow it down.

Target final Gravity is 1.012 or below ... But as a novice I don't have a good handle on how much the difference is (.006 over target) .. Checked this morning and it's still slowly bubbling on day 14. .. But as you suggest, it's in a slightly colder environment and (using a temperature logger) has definitely dipped out the bottom of the target temp range a couple of times overnight .

If it's still bubbling, I presume these temp drops havn't done any permanent damage, just slowed it down?

Thanks for advice!

Cheers!, & Good Health!

It won't do any damage but it would help if you can warm the FV up a bit, your only 4pts of where it is expected to finish at, i would get it warmer for a week, a few degree's can make a big difference, then measure it again.

A simple water bath with an aquarium heater and some form of temp control will help a lot. Inkbirds are very good for temp control and they can fulfill multiple roles so they make a good investment if you intend to brew regularly.

As it's a lager, you'll want to do a Diacetyl rest anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone and ramp it up to ~19ËšC until you've reached F.G.?

IMO for a Pils, you're already at 75+% attenuation so I'd just let it go at 19ËšC until it's down to 1.010.

May take 1 day. May take another 10 depending on yeast health. Either way, be patient and ride it out. You don't want to be choking down a sweet 3% lager!

If it's still bubbling, I presume these temp drops havn't done any permanent damage, just slowed it down?

No, you're fine. As a general rule, a little too cold is fine and the only result will be a slower fermentation.

A few degrees too warm though (for the given yeast) can start to create unwanted flavours.

If it's still bubbling then leave it, 3 weeks in the FV won't hurt it at all and will give you a clear beer to drink when conditioned (good call on suggesting patience). You might want to start thinking about a temperature control set up as you'll certainly need one over the winter. The water bath as already suggested is a great way of maintaining a constant temperature which is what will give you the best fermentation. If you don't want to splash out on a Inkbird or STC then a fish tank heater with temperature control will hold fermentation temp for you no problem. This link will help:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66407

Hello folks,
I am nearly out of stock as the warm summer stopped my brewing. The temperatures now is just about OK and I have the Ultimate Brewery Classic Czech Pilsner Lager kit. I really want to start it off, but I have doubts about the instructions which say the ideal temperature is 22-24 C. Maybe OK for ale but this seems really high for my (first) lager.
I have made 4 ales and 1 stout, all good and all brewed at the lower end of kit instructions (~18C) based on advice on THBF. They all took about 3 weeks to complete. The yeast is not branded and just says 'Premium Yeast' so I guess its an ale yeast.
Dangerously low stock levels might just force me to have a go a find out what happens, but would be a shame if my first lager was horrid.
Does anyone have experience of this kit brewed at about 21 - 23C? Or general experience that would help?
Currently finishing few surviving St Peter's Golden Ale and St Peter's Stout.
Contemplating unmade UBC Czech Pilsner Lager and Santa's Sleigh Ride Special kits.

Latest posts

Back