Coopers European larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zutman

Reaction score
I'm now getting much better results with my brew fridge, therefore I'm going to have a go at coppers European larger because I can brew at the correct temp, does anyone know do I stir in the yeast or sprinkle on top ?

Be careful with this one. There's a thread in the review section
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17845&page=24

terrym had a bit of a problem brewing this. I've got one in the fridge right now.
I rehydrated TWO packets of Lager yeast as I'm brewing mine at 12C.
I just went with the Coopers European Lager, 1.5 kilos of Light Dry Malt and 35 grams Hallertau boiled for ten minutes

It's only been in the fridge since Saturday.

I'm now getting much better results with my brew fridge, therefore I'm going to have a go at coppers European larger because I can brew at the correct temp, does anyone know do I stir in the yeast or sprinkle on top ?

I had good results with just the one packet from the kit and sprinkling on top. mind it will take a bit longer to start and finish though

I had good results with just the one packet from the kit and sprinkling on top. mind it will take a bit longer to start and finish though
What temperature did you brew at?
I know others have managed to keep it going at 12-13*C with only one packet of kit yeast but mine started to stall after a few days at about 15*C so I had to increase the temperature to ale yeast temperatures and it perked up again and finished as it should.

I was going to brew at 13 c using kit yeast and the Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 do you think this yeast is no good as the whole point was to try and brew a true LAGER :nono:

I was going to brew at 13 c using kit yeast and the Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 do you think this yeast is no good as the whole point was to try and brew a true LAGER :nono:

The Coopers yeast is fine, as it's a lager yeast. As terrym says some get it to go OK, some don't.
7 grams MIGHT not be enough if you plan to brew at a low temperature.

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt.
See below. Coopers recommend keeping dextrose / sugar to a minimum in this brew.

http://beer101.diybeer.com/instructions/international-series

1. The yeast supplied with Coopers European Lager is a true lager strain. Lager yeast behaves differently to the normal Coopers Yeast.
  2. Avoid using too much simple sugar (white sugar, dextrose, etc.) as this will cause the lager yeast to ferment more thoroughly causing the beer to lack in body.
  3. Preferred brewing temperature is at the low end of the recommended range (i.e. 21°C). However, Coopers European Lager yeast will ferment as low as 13°C.
  4. Lower ferment temperatures extend the fermentation period. Ensure fermentation has finished before bottling.
  5. It is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs when fermenting. This should dissipate as the beer conditions in the bottle.
  6. Coopers European Lager may require conditioning for 12 weeks in the bottle before consuming.

What temperature did you brew at?
I know others have managed to keep it going at 12-13*C with only one packet of kit yeast but mine started to stall after a few days at about 15*C so I had to increase the temperature to ale yeast temperatures and it perked up again and finished as it should.

Kept it at 12 for a week, up to 15 for 2 days then back to 12. Think it was there for another 2weeks before racking and lagering.

Only have a few left but would go for it again. Mind you would give it a good dry hop this time of something with flavour.a small sazz hop hasn't enough for me. But still a nice brew

Wot @Pirate_Pete said above is a good reference point for this kit.
Plus there are 11 pages of members comments on this kit here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17845
And I will do it again sometime. :thumb:

Thanks for all that info I'm set to go I've never done dry hops before as I'm still learning gona do this now to instructions and then do another with the dry hop after I've read up how to go about it thanks

Thanks for all that info I'm set to go I've never done dry hops before as I'm still learning gona do this now to instructions and then do another with the dry hop after I've read up how to go about it thanks
Dry hopping can transform a kit. I dry hop or make up a hop tea with most one can kits I do.
Heres how
A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer - The HomeBrew Forum
Basically you chuck em in or use a bag. If you chuck em in its best to filter the hop bits out before beer goes into your bottles. I chuck em in and use a small homebrew nylon mesh sock thingy over the end of the siphon tube.
I used a 40g Saaz dry hop with this kit and it's good. Others have used Hallertau with good results.
Crossmyloofbrewery are cheap for hops, many members use them. Use the forum search engine (top left) to find out more.

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but I have a few questions about this kit.

It's been in the fermenter for 4 days and it looks like all activity has stopped after it being very lively since Saturday. I know you are meant to keep the temperature low but I can only manage around 18 degrees. I took a reading and it seems to be at 1.020, I never took an initial reading but the instructions say it's 1.038. My guess is it's still fermenting and I'm worried about nothing?

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but I have a few questions about this kit.

It's been in the fermenter for 4 days and it looks like all activity has stopped after it being very lively since Saturday. I know you are meant to keep the temperature low but I can only manage around 18 degrees. I took a reading and it seems to be at 1.020, I never took an initial reading but the instructions say it's 1.038. My guess is it's still fermenting and I'm worried about nothing?
SG 1.020 after four days is about right. Without knowing why you think the fermentation has stopped (don't rely on airlocks) I would give it another two or three days before I tested the SG and would leave the lid on in that period. If the fermentation has truly slowed up or stopped I would move it to a warmer place, bearing in mind what Pirate_Pete posted above about Coopers recommendations about fermenting temperatures for this kit.

SG 1.020 after four days is about right. Without knowing why you think the fermentation has stopped (don't rely on airlocks) I would give it another two or three days before I tested the SG and would leave the lid on in that period. If the fermentation has truly slowed up or stopped I would move it to a warmer place, bearing in mind what Pirate_Pete posted above about Coopers recommendations about fermenting temperatures for this kit.

Thanks for the advice! Iv made two kits before but i can't remember the timescale of things with them as it was five years ago.

I presume giving it a stir would be a bad idea right now?

Thanks for the advice! Iv made two kits before but i can't remember the timescale of things with them as it was five years ago.

I presume giving it a stir would be a bad idea right now?
As I suggested I would just leave the lid on for another two or three days and then take another SG reading. If you are desperate to do something you could move to a warmer place now. I would have thought it's unlikely to make all that much difference to how your brew turns out.

Can anyone help with this I'm going
To use saflager yeast what amount should I use and is this an ok yeast

S-23? if so I used it on this kit and seemed to work well. Use all of the 10g sachet. Either pitch it straight in or make a starter up (haven't made a starter yet, not sure if I ever will).

Try to keep the temperature low around 12C for at least 2 weeks.

Read the packet. If it's the same as I had it will say you need two packets to brew 23 litres at 12 C or something like that.

$_35.JPG

As the Coopers yeast is proper lager yeast I think you'll be OK to use the Saflager & the Coopers yeast together. The Coopers yeast is only 7grams, but I'll stick my neck out here and say that would be OK.

That's what I would have done if I'd thought about it. But I didn't I bought two packets of Saflager.
As I've splashed out on two packets I'm going to resuse the yeast and do another Lager as soon as this one has finished.

Back