Too warm?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch3z

Reaction score
So been relegated to the utility room and am paranoid my fv is at a temperature that's too high. I've got a wheat beer that's been going nicely for 36hrs but looking at the temp guide on the barrel it's reading 22 degrees. Problem is I have nowhere else to put this and no other equipment I can use. It does smell good but will this cause an issue? Could the temperature be elevated slightly by the yeast doing its thing?

Will be gutted if I've ruined it:-(

So been relegated to the utility room and am paranoid my fv is at a temperature that's too high. I've got a wheat beer that's been going nicely for 36hrs but looking at the temp guide on the barrel it's reading 22 degrees. Problem is I have nowhere else to put this and no other equipment I can use. It does smell good but will this cause an issue? Could the temperature be elevated slightly by the yeast doing its thing?

temp is elevated a few degrees when the yeast gets going that's for sure,cant you do the water bath fix?i tend not to worry too much and for me 22 is ok

22 is at the top but comfortable end. I wouldn't worry. Do what Godsdog said, water bath with a towel partially in the water.

Don't worry. At the very worst it will still be drinkable!

However, for future brews ensure that you are not "relegated to the Utility room"!

Mine made the comment "I will not play second fiddle to beer!" at which stage I pointed out ...

"Second fiddle? You are lucky to be in the band!"​
... and then, to prove my point, I slept in the garage with my beer until I was forgiven! :whistle:

My wife only drinks my beer so I have support. Here in Japan "beer" are ONLY lagers. You've seen them, Asahi and Sapporo. That is the only kind in Japan and my wife had lost interest in that light plain lager taste. But she likes ales and they're hard to come by.

Hi!
As long as copious amounts of wine flow out of my brew shed (directly into the clack of SWMBO) she is most forgiving about any "awfulness" that occurs when I'm brewing.
I also tend to brew when she's out.

If it's a proper wheat yeast or Belgian yeast 22 is fine. Top end for wheat and Belgian strains ranges from 25-30.

Always check your yeast details. If it's a Wit yeast then 25 is probably your upper limit.

At this stage adjusting the temp could upset the yeast, Belgian strains hate being cooled down once they get going and can go dormant. Leave them to it, at this point your beer has likely developed a lot of its yeast based flavours anyway. :thumb:

ha very funny guys... Made me chuckle ;)

So having two small rather inquisitive kids and leaving 21 litres of beer accessible with a rather inviting tap is a nightmare waiting to happen. Getting the green light to use the utility room was seen as a perfect solution, I have a sink, enough workspace and it's nice and warm...

I did a quick temp reading on the room and it was 20.8, I expect this goes up and down a little during the day due to the tumble dryer and boiler but I don't think there will be huge fluctuations, no more than heating going up and down throughout the day/night in another room.

I've had a quick look at the yeast I used 'Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian' and it says "ferment at 18-30 degrees" so sounds like I should be ok?

If i'm to do regular brews this room is the only one I have access too so i'll have to make sure the yeast I use has a higher temperature range? I'll look up this bath thing mentioned to see if this is possible for the future.

......... I expect this goes up and down a little during the day due to the tumble dryer ...........

Expensive way to warm up a brew; and using the words "tumble dryer" and "during the day." in the same sentence is forbidden in our house! :lol: :lol:

We are on a "No Standing Charge" Tariff and during the day 1Kw of electricity costs 20.612p whereas during the night the same 1Kw only costs 7.203p.

The Good News is that I haven't yet been banished to brewing in the middle of the night ... :thumb: :thumb:

... 'cos SWMBO hasn't twigged that I actually use electricity! :whistle: :whistle:

this house has had the 'tumble dryer' debate several times. I've been assured it's not much and TBF the line comes out in the summer. Was not an enjoyable conversation to save 50p...

I've had a quick look at the yeast I used 'Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian' and it says "ferment at 18-30 degrees" so sounds like I should be ok?

That's fine, your beer is probably around 22°C so there's loads of room to play with.

MJ M20 is my favourite yeast so far, lovely flavour profile and it really does give a nice silky mouthfeel.

Don't worry. At the very worst it will still be drinkable!

However, for future brews ensure that you are not "relegated to the Utility room"!

Mine made the comment "I will not play second fiddle to beer!" at which stage I pointed out ...

"Second fiddle? You are lucky to be in the band!"​

... and then, to prove my point, I slept in the garage with my beer until I was forgiven! :whistle:

So, how many years was it before she came around? :lol:

ha very funny guys... Made me chuckle ;)

So having two small rather inquisitive kids and leaving 21 litres of beer accessible with a rather inviting tap is a nightmare waiting to happen. Getting the green light to use the utility room was seen as a perfect solution, I have a sink, enough workspace and it's nice and warm...

I did a quick temp reading on the room and it was 20.8, I expect this goes up and down a little during the day due to the tumble dryer and boiler but I don't think there will be huge fluctuations, no more than heating going up and down throughout the day/night in another room.

If i'm to do regular brews this room is the only one I have access too so i'll have to make sure the yeast I use has a higher temperature range? I'll look up this bath thing mentioned to see if this is possible for the future.

I've used that yeast at 28 degrees and it was lovely I had bananas as is the style.

Back