Bourbon oaked imperial stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was wanting to brew an imperial stout with some Bourbon soaked oak chips, but from doing a little Googling seems everyone adds oak to secondary fermenter I don't have the space to do this or a glass carboy which seems to be the way it's done. I'm thinking why not boil the chips first to remove any harsh tannins then soak in some Bourbon for a few weeks the bung em in primary with the liquid after the main ferment is over, as you would with a dry hopped beer. Has anybody done this or something similar?

I take you either bottle or keg from the first fermenter.I have added mixed fruit soaked in whiskey to one of my latest brew's but that's in a secondary fermenter.
I'm guessing that adding to the boil you will loose the Bourbon flavour and possibility of loosing the oak as well.
Do you have a bottling bucket or a big enough container sterilised that you could possibly transfer your brew then clean and sterilise your fermenter to transfer back into?

Sent from my ALE-L21

Yep I bottle from a bucket after batch priming, and don't have the space for secondary fermenter to age in, I have read plastic isn't good for this due to oxidation anyway. so my thinking was to make a Bourbon / oak tincture a few weeks before brew day. let the beer ferment out then add the chips and oaky Bourbon for a week or two

I can't see any reason why you couldn't just add them to primary like dry hops if you're only planning to keep the beer on the oak for a couple of weeks. If you were going to do longer ageing a secondary would make sense. My only experience of something similar was the Youngs Oaked Rum kit a couple of years ago but when I done that I just added the oak to the primary FV and it turned out ok.

Back