Is 1010 too late for a Diacetyl rest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Still dont have a fridge so making use of the cold weather and trying again to make a drinkable Lager. Just checked mine in the garage, its been at 12c for 16 days and its down to 1010. Still a bit of yeast on top and a little murky so i raised it to 18c for the Diacetyl rest.
Question is should i have done this sooner or later or was this right?
I thought that Lager could take weeks but this seemed to have fermented out in a week.

Started bubbling as the temps rose so hopefully i sorted it in time. I presume you rack after the rest not before?

Not sure this makes much sense mate. If you decide to do the rest then you obviously need to see it thru. Not being a lager drinker I'm not that clued up but have read a diacetyl rest benefits lager more due to the lower temps. And I've also read lager takes longer to ferment and clean up so I would keep the temp up for a couple more days then gradually lower And if Ur in no rush id leave it for two more weeks. Maybe dry hope in between that time.

Not sure this makes much sense mate. If you decide to do the rest then you obviously need to see it thru. Not being a lager drinker I'm not that clued up but have read a diacetyl rest benefits lager more due to the lower temps. And I've also read lager takes longer to ferment and clean up so I would keep the temp up for a couple more days then gradually lower And if Ur in no rush id leave it for two more weeks. Maybe dry hope in between that time.

Thanks Beer. I read that 3/4 of the way to FG was a good time to ramp it up and others said after 3 or 4 weeks. At least before it starts to clear. Perhaps i pitched enough for a fairly fast ferment. I am the first to admit i dont really have a clue.It never really bubbled like an Ale would and all previous attempts have been binned. Funny thing is i dont drink Lager either since getting into homebrewing. I dont mind a nice cold German one but its made way for IPA and Stout. Its been at 18c for about 3 days now so going to rack and chill tomorrow. Fingers crossed 4th time lucky. Until i upgrade one of my STC's i cant lower the temps slowly unless i do it manually.

BC
are you chilling after racking? I thought ud need to keep it warm first to prime or are you largering and then priming? I was under the assumption you have to chill/lager in the FV first before racking

The idea is to rack then lager @ 3c for a while then into a corny. Provided i can source a suitable fridge in time that is. If you want to bottle it then you need to add more yeast then. 3g per 20l is what i read, say US04.

blimey, is this all in aid of appearance or taste? I try to look at beer making as a cost saving thing. when u mention us04 x2 im thinking unessacary expense. I guess if its AG ur still saving . wel have to send eachother a couple of brews

I guess its for the taste otherwise you could just filter it i would of thought. Thats only a 1/4 packet of yeast for bottling but a lot of faffing so thats why i intend to keg it. Next beer was gonna be a Black Lager but i may do a BIPA instead with the lager yeast and leave out the lagering step.
Happy to swap some beers mate. My Stout's and IPA's come out well and the last lot of Wheat Beer is good.
Going out to the garage now to rack it and have a little taster, fingers crossed. :)

Yea mate ill get the stouts I did a few months back carbed up a bit more and send one with another mini mash coopers real ale. I'm afraid I haven't got round to doin strictly AG yet. Its funny really in a sad way this was always an option but if done on a smaller scale. I'm just so usI could ed to bigger volumes with extract, and kit that I couldn't bare makin small batches. In hiensight I could have just used two FVs andjust bought another 12l kettle, brewed two different recipe on the same day and still achieving around 18/19liters of beer. Sigh never mind. This will all have to wait now as me and my Mrss are expecting our first child in January. I have said I could make a small BIAB AG as a celebration but it hasn't gone down well. Think its gonna have to be a stealth operation when I get the opportunity ! Haha.
Anyway how did the racking go?

Congtratulations to you both! :) Nothing wrong with doing kits or extract. I screwed a lot less kits up than i have AG but its all fun. I brewed an extract IPA recently which i guzzled a load of yesterday. Really good extract and at £5 for 1.5kg its a bargain. Do a mini mash and add a tin or 2. I have made full batches using a 7l pot which is loads easier than messing around in my garage. Up to AG124 since last May lol.
I racked it Sunday and has come down to 1005. Only got about 12l though so going to bottle it, wire up my fridge and use it for something else. If your Mrs is not keen on you brewing inside have you thought about an induction hob for use outside. I picked up a 3kw buffalo for £70.

Latest posts

Back