What do you do with leftovers after brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lympicit

Reaction score
I'm without a compast bin so I'm not sure what to do with the rice and mixed fruits left over after the first fermentation of rice wine. Now that I see it in a colander it seems a bit if a waste to chuck it away.

Does anyone have any novel ideas of what to do with this stuff? I see that someone feeds it to their pigs, which again I don't have.

I fear that this is a job for chucking on my neighbors garden or in the bin.

I used to dump the spent grains in the wheely bin, but they clagged onto the bottom and went mouldy and were still there after the bin men had returned the 'empty' bin. Lately I've been putting them in a compost bin at teh top of the garden. Various young birds have been seen going in there for a feed, which is fine, but I suspect that I might start attracting rats to the place. Wondering now about another way of disposing of them. Chickens would be ideal, but I don't have any these days. There was never any waste food when I did have some. It was all recycled into eggs.

When I made beetroot wine I had all the lovely cooked beetroot left behind and it still tastes good after the boiling and I wondered if I could pickle it. Seemed such a waste to throw it away but I had no vinegar spare at the time - maybe next time.

The recipe said to boil until tender but not mushy and this meant it would probably have been ok for pickling.

I feed all my used grains to the wife's horses. They're particularly fond of chocolate malt. The hops and trub from the boiler goes in the compost bin.

Thanks for that. I had it in my mind that my left over rice was the start to a very grown up spiced rice pudding. I threw it on my neighbours garden, her redcurrant crop will hopefully be bountiful next year.

Various young birds have been seen going in there for a feed, which is fine

That would be fine with me too, we're they scantily clad by any chance ? :-D

Chickens would be ideal, but I don't have any these days.

Do you want any. I've got some that look exactly like cockerels if you want one ;-). Seriously, though, we've got a three week old hen chick which is one more chicken than we need.

That would be fine with me too, we're they scantily clad by any chance ? :-D

Do you want any. I've got some that look exactly like cockerels if you want one ;-). Seriously, though, we've got a three week old hen chick which is one more chicken than we need.

:) on the first remark, and thanks but no, on the second...

I used to have an allotment and me and another guy there shared 24 layer hens. We also tried some meat chickens, which I bought for about 25p each as new born chicks up in the Borders. I brought them on and we ate them - at least the ones the local fox didn't get. It was a messy business and in the end I thought it probably wasn't worth it when you took ito account all the costs and troubles.

Hello Fatdad . Thank you for the recipe for beetroot wine. We have a glut and will certainly be giving it a go. If you're just cooking the beetroot you can definitely eat it afterwards. Pickle it (cold pickling) or let it cool and serve in a salad or with a soft or white cheese or roast them in oil and balsamic vinegar ( or honey ) with a sprig or two of rosemary. My only concern is that by leaving them to cool in the water after boiling they may become a little overcooked. To remedy this I think you might increase the amount of beets in the boil but remove them once they are ready to eat or a little earlier. Anyway, you wouldn't be wasting the extra beets as you'll be eating them later. Just thinking of me belly there, as usual.

Over the years. I've found that there is very little that doesn't compost down, as long as it is mixed with something like leaf mixture.

I use the trub from the bottom of the fermenting bin to make some excellent bread. It depends whether it's still active though so test it first then use it as you would fresh bread yeast.

Latest posts

Back