First BIAB today

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a bit under 19l and a litre or two from sparging with my high tech method(kitchen kettle) helped top it up,even then i got 1051 instead of 1056

Did you mash as close to a full boiler as you could, I find mashing that way works well with my 30l Burco I am also running a PID & a circulating pump which I also think aids effeiency, I don't sparge and regularly hit high 80%.

I did,but maybe my boil was a bit vigorous? I was surprised when i poured it into the fv and there was only around 18l.
Ive not measured the boiler but im trusting it takes 30l, mind you, the grains and hops soak up a bit as well. I hope it turns out well,i have decided to dry hop it as well as it was leaf hops and i prefer pellets and am banking on a hoppy Pale Ale.

I did,but maybe my boil was a bit vigorous? I was surprised when i poured it into the fv and there was only around 18l.
Ive not measured the boiler but im trusting it takes 30l, mind you, the grains and hops soak up a bit as well. I hope it turns out well,i have decided to dry hop it as well as it was leaf hops and i prefer pellets and am banking on a hoppy Pale Ale.

I am sure it will work out fine, I always have to liqour back too, not sure the Burco is 30l to the the max line, I think the 30l is to the brim.

I have a Burco boiler and desperate to change tap. Very strange shaped hole not fit to take ball valve and reluctant to try with a qmax cutter to adjust so will be very keen to know how you sorted tap out

I forgot to show it with the external washer off,hope this helps

DSC_1107.jpg

Down to 1014 now (in case anyone is interested, even if their not,your going to hear all about this 😁) added 20g of Mosaic and 20g of Sorachi Ace pellets for a dry hop,probably not a combination meant for this but it's an experiment i guess, still looks like muddy water though, hope crashing it in two days will clear it a bit.

Ok,i know you are all glued to this thread, its just so interesting 😂
Down to 1008 and now cold crashing.
Whats the abv calc again? Can someone help.
1051-1008
Cheers

Sounds like another Brewstore customer there. I made the NZ Helix as my second all grain and it turned out well. Though I opened the last few bottles recently and they'd turned into gushers so had obviously been infected with something or other.

I'd recommend quickly moving on to finding/devising your own recipes, because they add a fair few quid onto the kits as a markup. They're great as a starter (and certainly don't begrudge paying the extra few quid for not having another thing to worry about), but they don't tell you what the ingredients are (understandably, to protect the margins on the kits!) so they're not great for leaning what's going on with recipes.
Can you tell me what yours tasted like?
Its hard to compare, the first bottle i opened i was heartbroken as it had bits floating about and tasted super yeastie,thought it was ruined as my temps were a bit all over the place, just opened the second bottle after 1 week in the warm and crashed to 4 degrees and its much, much better but still a taste ive never had before, not sure what the hops were so it's difficult to know if im on track or not,can still taste the yeast a little but ive never used Mangrove Jacks West Coast before, anyone else got any experience of this kit or yeast?
Cheers

I take it Brewstore wont supply the hop info then?
The young guy working there wrote on my grain bag what ratio of each grain was in it,dont see why they wont tell you hop schedule, im sure there are loads of similar recipes available online anyway.

This is now a thing of beauty, even if i say so myself, clean tasting and lovely hop taste.
Its a combination of Wakatu and Pacific Jade.
Guy from Brewstore emailed me back,although he did say dont tell anyone :$
I must say its better than any kit ive ever made.

DSC_1159.jpg

What did you make?

I did a SMaSH with Maris Otter and East Kent Goldings, following the Simple AG thread.

Dry hopped too with some more EKG before bottling. When I bottled it smelled and tasted so much better than my last kit beer. First time I have dry hopped though which probably makes a big difference.

Very excited to try it, but after all the hard work I am determined to wait.

I've just written out the recipe, and started on the kit. The supreme commander offered some ancient nappies that she uses for marmalade making, but fortunately they are too small for the bag, and a tenner was lavishly laid out for some large squares of muslin. I'm going for an eight pint experimental batch and keeping it as simple as possible.

Back