What's my OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was looking for some help calculating the og on a wine ice started.

It's got 327g of sugar in 3.5ltrs.

Hope this is enough to calculate the og. I've had a look online but seems well low. So any advice would be appreciated.

Definetly not a silly question. Erm in answer... I have no idea.

I put 100g of table sugar. And that apple and rgj had the sugar amounts on the back of the carton which totaled the 220.

Am I being a bit of a wally and not taking into account other sugars?

Is this mean't to be a wine? If so you need to add quite a bit more sugar to it (550g to get to 10%, before topping up, add more sugar if you want it stronger), you should have some room in the fv as it's at 3.5 ltrs.

Now I'm thinking that I'm being a moron and did I actually put a kilo of sugar in it. Not 100grams. Oh crumbs I'll check it when I'm home

Hi guys.

I was looking for some help calculating the og on a wine ice started.

It's got 327g of sugar in 3.5ltrs.

Hope this is enough to calculate the og. I've had a look online but seems well low. So any advice would be appreciated.

Although it's for beer you can use this to roughly calculate an OG from litres / grammes of sugar, just put your sugar quantity in the DME section. Yours comes out around 1.034. http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/

The usual quantities for a juice wine are two cartons of pure juice e.g. apple + grape and ~800g of granulated sugar. Should come out around 1.100 OG and ferment to give a wine in the ~13% strength range.

Although it's for beer you can use this to roughly calculate an OG from litres / grammes of sugar, just put your sugar quantity in the DME section. Yours comes out around 1.034. http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/

The usual quantities for a juice wine are two cartons of pure juice e.g. apple + grape and ~800g of granulated sugar. Should come out around 1.100 OG and ferment to give a wine in the ~13% strength range.

That's handy, 327g in 3.5ltrs get 1035

So I've had a think and I'm pretty sure that I only put 100grams of sugar in it. Is this ruined or can I just dilute some sugar in a pan and add it in and probablu pitch more yeast?

So I've had a think and I'm pretty sure that I only put 100grams of sugar in it. Is this ruined or can I just dilute some sugar in a pan and add it in and probablu pitch more yeast?

The abv should be low enough for yeast to continue fermenting if you pitch more sugar in and yeast. Dissolve before putting it in, use a pan and 0.5 ltr of water, cool and add gradually or its likely to overflow.

Sure you didn't pour a whole 1kg bag in?

Latest posts

Back