Aerating water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepton

Reaction score
This is my process - which in theory should aid aeration of the wort:
(Take as read that everything is sanitised)
In the past when I have tried aerating the wort by vigorous stirring or pouring it from a height into the fv I have been limited by the quantity of foam that is created - 23litres in a 5gallon fv and there is not that much head-space.
My conclusion was to aerate the water which I would add to the boiled malt and hops. I think I am correct in saying that colder water will allow more gas to be dissolved in it than hot water. That being the case, the day before brew day I freeze several tupperware containers of water then add these to a bin filled with tap water and place an aquarium pump airstone in the bin and let it bubble away for about an hour while I'm boiling up the brew. During this time the ice melts, the water temp goes down to 5 - 6deg C and in theory, the water becomes highly oxigenated. I then empty my boiled wort into a fv and make up the total quantity with this aerated water which brings the wort temp down to about 18deg C - ready to pitch the yeast.

Sounds very well thought out and in theory I don't see why this wouldn't work. For my last brew i have attached a whisk to a drill and it creates an immense amount of foam on the beer

I brew kits and I just fill them with tap water. However my tap is one of the shower type ones, so I use the shower attachment and it aerates my wort beautifully. I have never had a stuck ferment to my knowledge and my ferments tend to be strong and quick.

I brew kits and I just fill them with tap water. However my tap is one of the shower type ones, so I use the shower attachment and it aerates my wort beautifully. I have never had a stuck ferment to my knowledge and my ferments tend to be strong and quick.

Must admit I use the shower attachment to and can sometimes be to foamy!

Aerating dilution water works really well. I used to put about 4L in a 5L jerrycan and shake the hell out of before pouring it into the FV

How much of a difference does it make compared to shaking\stirring the wort ?

I just ask as someone's bound to have a paint shaker hehe

This is my process - which in theory should aid aeration of the wort:
(Take as read that everything is sanitised)
In the past when I have tried aerating the wort by vigorous stirring or pouring it from a height into the fv I have been limited by the quantity of foam that is created - 23litres in a 5gallon fv and there is not that much head-space.
My conclusion was to aerate the water which I would add to the boiled malt and hops. I think I am correct in saying that colder water will allow more gas to be dissolved in it than hot water. That being the case, the day before brew day I freeze several tupperware containers of water then add these to a bin filled with tap water and place an aquarium pump airstone in the bin and let it bubble away for about an hour while I'm boiling up the brew. During this time the ice melts, the water temp goes down to 5 - 6deg C and in theory, the water becomes highly oxigenated. I then empty my boiled wort into a fv and make up the total quantity with this aerated water which brings the wort temp down to about 18deg C - ready to pitch the yeast.

Do you steralize everything? I would be worried about possible infection.

Must admit I use the shower attachment to and can sometimes be to foamy!

It goes foamy to me too. What I do is let the foam get to the top, I then sprinkle the dried yeast on top which bursts the bubbles and then top up with the shower hose again - foam dies down lovely :thumb:

How much of a difference does it make compared to shaking\stirring the wort ?

I just ask as someone's bound to have a paint shaker hehe

TBh I havent done it for a while but iirc the lag time seemed to be shorter. Havent any scientific comparisions to go by but I just felt like it seemed to kick off a bit sooner

Latest posts

Back