Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...just on 1006 and clear as a bell! Big hop flavour. .bottling this first thing Saturday!

Cheers

Clint

20161201_202954.jpg

...just checked the fg again and it's the same as yesterday. ..however the fv still has positive pressure and the odd gurgle through the airlock...what do you think? It's been in the fv for a month at 18/20 °c,it's very clear now,no surface bubbles in the fv and smells and tastes very good..

Cheers

Clint

Bottled my second batch of AIPA around 2weeks ago. Wasn't expecting to try it for another couple of weeks around 15th December.
Unfortunately or fortunately, I slipped and broke my wrist in Mexico on Friday morning so flew home early. I've cracked 3 bottles open tonight and they're tasting beautiful already. Even though the Mrs had to be trained to pour them.
Glad I went for a second bash at the same brew.

Without doing another thread, has anyone made an AG IPA better than this kit? If so, could I have the recipe? Id scale it down to accommodate the size of my 12litre pot

cheers

Lads can I ask - the instructions step 1 say "add 3 litres of boiled water to the FV and mix" is this boiled (and then cooled) or boiling ?? Presuming boiling - just making sure.
If boiling I am gonna have to go out and get a non-PET bucket as my PET fermonster can only handle 57 degrees.

Edit : I see it has to be boiling - off the shops I go ....

I bottled my second batch 9 days ago. This time, because the temperature in the house was cooler, the beer took longer to ferment than last time (19 days, including 3 dry hopping). This time it took 30 days to complete, including dry hopping in for 7 days. What's interesting is that the beer this time is much lighter than last time, but looks closer in colour to the picture on the box and to a lighter IPA such as Punk IPA, whereas last time the beer looked much darker like a Red India Ale. Is there anything in the longer fermentation at a slightly lower temperature that could have caused this? My immediate suspicion was that I was supplied with the wrong stuff last time, but it tasted like an IPA, but less like Punk IPA than others had suggested.

Either way, this time round the sample at bottling tasted fantastic and I can't wait to crack on open on Christmas Eve!

20 days in the keg, have to say it is tremendous - so so nice. My first kit the woodford wherry is good, but this gives context to that - it is brilliant. I thought I had messed up as so much sediment everywhere with a few issues getting into keg. But it is perfectlly clear and with garage cold at this time of year is great.

one thing, the keg is a bit spluttery when it comes out, I have the option to add gas, do you think I should - sure I remember somewhere that this helps? not a huge issue mind as you get a nice big head which subsides.

This is fun!

Did you use all the kit supplied priming sugar? I weighed it...135g to see what carbonation it would give I wasn't bothered with the amount as mine was bottled. Plastic kegs only advise 80/90 g. .maybe the reason you are getting lots of fizz.. Mine is nearly two weeks bottled and is quite clear. .it will go out to the shed soon..really looking forward to it!

Cheers

Clint

20 days in the keg, have to say it is tremendous - so so nice. My first kit the woodford wherry is good, but this gives context to that - it is brilliant. I thought I had messed up as so much sediment everywhere with a few issues getting into keg. But it is perfectlly clear and with garage cold at this time of year is great.

one thing, the keg is a bit spluttery when it comes out, I have the option to add gas, do you think I should - sure I remember somewhere that this helps? not a huge issue mind as you get a nice big head which subsides.

This is fun!
What do you mean by 'spluttery' ?
If its 'spluttery' because there is not much pressure you may have a leak probably in the cap somewhere which you need to investigate before you add more sugar or gas.
However if its 'spluttery' because its got lots of pressure, simply don't open the tap quite as much and take your time to deliver the beer. If you used all the kit supplied sugar then I would not advise increasing the PB internal pressure any more by adding gas. As Clint says 80-90g of gas is normally enough, and on a properly sealed PB will be enough to deliver beer to at least half way down, a with a good head as well.

Thank you both, that's kind. Yes I did use all the sugar, made 6 bottles and popped rest in the keg, is the first time the keg has been used so shoudn't be a leak. So probably is that it is just very well carbonated, I go from a trickle coming out to teh 'splutter' with barely any more turning

Clint, you are in for a treat, it is very nice indeed. not opened one of the bottles yet, by they are perfectly clear.

Festival Pilsner ready for bottling next week!

Suggestions for next brew. I,m on my second youngs AIPA batch and loving it. What should I be brewing next? Looking ideally for something similar as I do really like this.

Suggestions for next brew. I,m on my second youngs AIPA batch and loving it. What should I be brewing next? Looking ideally for something similar as I do really like this.
I did the Youngs American Pale Ale which is slightly different. I thought it was a bit better than the AIPA but not much in it.
Or try a Festival Razorback to compare to the AIPA. I haven't done one of these but several on here have.
Look at kit reviews for more.

14 days in and it looks like this, assumes it prob needs another week. Tried it anyway and it fairly rank, had an awful smell. Hope its still yeasty !

2016-12-30 21.21.02.jpg

Still going, I was going to dry hop this on Tuesday night for bottling on Sunday. Do you think I should leave it until the weekend before I dry hop it then bottle the weekend after ?

Been in 16 days now

2017-01-01 18.23.35.jpg

Still going, I was going to dry hop this on Tuesday night for bottling on Sunday. Do you think I should leave it until the weekend before I dry hop it then bottle the weekend after ?

Been in 16 days now
If it were me I would be giving it until next weekend, or until I had consistent SG readings before I dry hopped. The extra time in the FV will allow the yeast to clear up and settle better, and since the fermentation should be all but done by then you will lose less of the hop aroma compared to an earlier dry hop

Ive never had a beer reach below 1010 i dont think, usually 1014 for me,until my last three biab brews i havent used a hydrometer for over a year, wait until stops bubbling then bottle two days later, ABV isnt too important to me although bottle bombs are!

Latest posts

Back