Stand back, we have a gusher!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm in a bit of a desperate situation here. I haven't brewed for ages as I'm still in the process of building my new brew room. I've also drank almost all of my supplies! All I have left is a few bottles of pale that I brewed a couple of months back.

It didn't quite hit FG, which I put down to too high a mash temp. After bottle conditioning for about 3 weeks it was as flat as a fart. So I ramped up my fermentation fridge to 24°C and gave them another week.

I've opened a couple this week and as soon as I pop the cap they fizz up, overflow and all the nicely settled yeast gets mixed in with the beer.

So, is there anything I can do? I suspect not, but one of you knowledgeable creatures might have an idea.

Cheers.

Evening all.

I'm in a bit of a desperate situation here. I haven't brewed for ages as I'm still in the process of building my new brew room. I've also drank almost all of my supplies! All I have left is a few bottles of pale that I brewed a couple of months back.

It didn't quite hit FG, which I put down to too high a mash temp. After bottle conditioning for about 3 weeks it was as flat as a fart. So I ramped up my fermentation fridge to 24°C and gave them another week.

I've opened a couple this week and as soon as I pop the cap they fizz up, overflow and all the nicely settled yeast gets mixed in with the beer.

So, is there anything I can do? I suspect not, but one of you knowledgeable creatures might have an idea.

Cheers.

superchill and release cap very slowly that's a bout it

I had to rebottle my Brewferm Xmas Ale that I started in January. Started with 12 at bottling in Swing tops and had 9 when I had to re-bottle.

Just bunged the whole lot into a 15L fermenter, by first pouring the torrent of foam into a 2L plastic jug, then decanting into the FV. After a while, I just reversed the process and re-jugged it back into the bottles.

My own silly fault for bottling beer at 1018. WTH I was thinking of at the time, I know not.

I had to rebottle my Brewferm Xmas Ale that I started in January. Started with 12 at bottling in Swing tops and had 9 when I had to re-bottle.

Just bunged the whole lot into a 15L fermenter, by first pouring the torrent of foam into a 2L plastic jug, then decanting into the FV. After a while, I just reversed the process and re-jugged it back into the bottles.

My own silly fault for bottling beer at 1018. WTH I was thinking of at the time, I know not.

Yep, I've got the same problem! Bottled a Ruby Mild at I think 1.016 (don't ask why :-? ) They are full on gushers.
Was thinking of trying to save it by doing what you have done or pouring into a corny. What results have you had now they have been re bottled?
Cheers
Jay

Strangely, I also had to re bottle my Brewferm Christmas Ale due to a "mishap" and I just tipped it all into a small FV and re-bottled. Ive tried a few (as you do) and its absolutely fine. Its also one of the few kits I would do again for that special occasion.

depending on the recipe, bottling at around 1.016 could be ok if you've not added priming sugar as well.

I've bottled at 1.019 without any priming sugar and it carbed up just fine, no gushing.

I did wonder whether re-bottling so a feasible option, bu there's only a few left so probably not worth the bother.

We live and learn.

What I've found works is:
1. refrigerate for several hours before oopening.
2. Have a 2 Ltr jug on hand and as soon as you pop the top pour the brew straight into the jug. This way you avoid contaminating your beer with yeast as it takes a second or two before the bottle realises it's been opened and the gushing starts and by that time you've emptied the bottle. You do end up with about 2 ltr of foam though which you have to wait for 10 minutes or so to settle out.

I opened mine a tiny crack bit by bit to let the gas out, then just recapped.

Strangely, I also had to re bottle my Brewferm Christmas Ale due to a "mishap" and I just tipped it all into a small FV and re-bottled. Ive tried a few (as you do) and its absolutely fine. Its also one of the few kits I would do again for that special occasion.

Yeah, since re-bottling at 1008, no issues. It is gradually re-carbonating (added no priming sugar for sure) and will be fine in December for sure.

Yeah, since re-bottling at 1008, no issues. It is gradually re-carbonating (added no priming sugar for sure) and will be fine in December for sure.
Great to hear its ok. Mines fine, which I can't believe since I chucked all mine into a Bird fat ball container(clean) and then put into bottles (was in kegs which exploded). Did it all in the garden, on a table, and no infection. I guess I looked a complete ****. Got to say it tastes great after 9 months conditioning. Guess Im lucky. Would defo brew another one for next year and Im A/G these days.

I know this is an old thread but the required bottling density for Brewferm Christmas beer is 1020. It requires no sugar (inc priming) whatsoever.

Untitled.png

Hi Rockoraniam

I saw that, too. Pretty rubbish advice it was, for keeping it for 9 months. A gusher like that on Boxing day would have down like a Lead Balloon in the Mother-in-Laws front pantry in the company of her extended family. :lol:

Back