Home Brew Competition - December 16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed my entry yesterday. It should be interesting. Wanting to get the wheat beer flavour I cultured up some yeast from a bottle of And Union Summer. By the time the yeast was at a pitchable amount, it had a funny smell to it which I'm hoping is from the wort and not the yeast :-?

I brewed my entry yesterday. It should be interesting. Wanting to get the wheat beer flavour I cultured up some yeast from a bottle of And Union Summer. By the time the yeast was at a pitchable amount, it had a funny smell to it which I'm hoping is from the wort and not the yeast :-?
I'm not familiar with that beer but are you sure they use their primary strain for bottle conditioning? It's not uncommon for wheat beers to have a different strain added for bottling.

I'm not familiar with that beer but are you sure they use their primary strain for bottle conditioning? It's not uncommon for wheat beers to have a different strain added for bottling.

It definitely smelt of wheat beer yeast until the pitching stage. I think it's the wort its in going off.

It definitely smelt of wheat beer yeast until the pitching stage. I think it's the wort its in going off.

:thumb:
If you need the postal address send me a PM. In in the process of sorting out a date for the judging with a couple of mates who are also brewers.

First entry received today courtesy of @JFB :thumb:

Judging has been scheduled for Saturday 7th January. I've enlisted the help of a couple of other brewers, one of whom has been involved in judging BJCP competitions in the past, so hopefully we can give some constructive feedback.

First entry received today courtesy of @JFB :thumb:

Judging has been scheduled for Saturday 7th January. I've enlisted the help of a couple of other brewers, one of whom has been involved in judging BJCP competitions in the past, so hopefully we can give some constructive feedback.

I've had a couple of gushers with that batch only two out of the whole batch so you should be fine be maybe open near the sink:grin:

Received entry from @JFB this morning.
Judging is still on schedule for this Saturday, looking forward to trying these.

I accidentally drank my last bottle of American Wheat due to it having the same bottle cap as my steam beer, which is why I didn't send you mine!

How many did you receive?

A fairly small competition this month, I think there are 6 entries. Although that means we can take a bit more time on each entry and hopefully give some useful feedback.

A fairly small competition this month, I think there are 6 entries. Although that means we can take a bit more time on each entry and hopefully give some useful feedback.

Shame really, Perhaps a Christmas beer for December would of got more entries.
Still thanks for taking the time out to critic our beers:thumb:

And the results...

1st place - Raspberry Wheat by @JFB
2nd place - Bowl of Wheatos by @JCEG316
3rd place - My Brew Huell by @Crystal_ball

Well done everybody, I'll try to get the feedback sent tomorrow.

And the results...

1st place - Raspberry Wheat by @JFB
2nd place - Bowl of Wheatos by @JCEG316
3rd place - American Wheat by JFB

Well done everybody, I'll try to get the feedback sent tomorrow.

Well done both. I did think that only one bottle can be counted though so you may need to amend 3rd place.

On another note, STeve send me you address for a bottle of Black IPA.

Well done both. I did think that only one bottle can be counted though so you may need to amend 3rd place.

On another note, STeve send me you address for a bottle of Black IPA.

You're quite right, post edited (and PM sent).

Yay second place! My recipe: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/bowl-of-wheatos please note the efficiency is 79%, my actual efficiency on brewday was lower. Yeast was cultured up from a bottle of And Union Summer wheat beer, I'm not sure what strain they used.

@Grizzly299 yes it's almost finished fermenting, will hopefully be ready in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back