Cold Crash and priming time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepton

Reaction score
I have successfully made about twenty extract brews, different kits and experiments with hops. The last kit that I bottled was a Saison which was dry hopped with pellets. I was a little unhappy with the amount of residue that ended up in the bottles. I have heard of 'cold crashing' the brew in order to sink all the hop residue and yeast matter, making it easier to syphon and less stuff ending up in the bottles but will the absence of yeast effect the time it will take to prime the beer?

If you cold crash for a few days you'll be fine, people on here crash for a week and have no problems witch carbonation. You don't need much yeast to carbonate a bottle.

I have a feeling that if you cold crash before bottling it will slow down the speed of carbonation. Lots of people on here state you need 2 weeks in the warm after bottling, but I don't cold crash and always find it only takes a few days.
Of course, I might be talking b******s.

Thanks for the above. I have always left my bottles for priming in the warm for 2 weeks - I was just wondering if they would need longer if I had cold crashed.

The yeast will never 100% drop out. To get the yeast out you'll have to filter it or pasteurize it (very very hard to do). For homebrewing they'll be plenty of yeast to condition.

Latest posts

Back