Turbo Yeast not bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
Ingredients used:
1 packet of 48hr turbo yeast (14%).
6 KG Sugar
4 1L bottles of sainsbury's high juice
20L water

Done all of this last night, but it doesn't seem to be bubbling through the airlock.
It is smelling really yeasty in the room but I can't seem to get it going. I have given the bucket a little wiggle side to side, to try and stir it but this did nothing.

I have just been to the homebrew shop and bought another packet of 48hr turbo yeast (14%), I have added half of the pack into some warm water and opened the fermenter and added this into the mix (this is about 14hours after doing the mix). I will check this when I get home from work to see if it starts bubbling. If this doesn't work, my next thing to try is stirring it with a sterilised spoon.

If none of this works, does anyone please have any other solution as this mix has ended up costing about £30 so I don't want to have to chuck it....

Thanks in advance,
Clarke

So, I have just checked again - I seem to be get bubbles about every 40 seconds? Which doesn't seem very regular to me?

Any ideas?

After putting the extra yeast in mate, its bubbling like crazy constantly! It was mean't to be finished (48 hour 14% yeast), started on tuesday! I don't want it to go too high, do you reckon I should stabilizer it? Its literally a constant bubbling...

Just let it finish, constant bubbling is fine , it will slow down. I make it to the 5 day recipe but usually takes 8 - 10 days so wait until it's finished bubbling. The only problem you may have after using all that yeast is the taste :)

I put mine through a charcoal filter, there are some posts on here about that

I have liquid charcoal will this do the trick? As I don't have a charcoal filter setup

Cheers

Sunday now and its still bubbling loads! It was mean't to be done Thursday, do I need to wait till it actually stops bubbling completely?

Also, because of the high juice which was put into it to flavor (i've tasted a sample and its quite fruity which is good), will using liquid carbon to filter this, remove the flavour/taste?

You need to wait until it stops bubbling. If you don't there will be sugar remaining in it and it will taste sickly sweet. The 5 day recipe using 8kg of sugar usually takes 10 days for me and that is with using a brewbelt to keep an ideal temperature.
I've not used liquid carbon but I do filter through a tube with activated charcoal, this will remove any flavours that have been previously added. You can always add a bit later, the high juice blackcurrant only requres a small amount to flavour.

Back