reusing plastic water bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Hi again you lovely forum ;)
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on reusing plastic water bottles. I'm sure carbonated water bottles could be used as they'd stand the pressure, would of course need to be kept in the dark.
I use tesco cheapo water as my tap water tastes awful, and I was thinking I could maybe reuse a few of the 2l bottles to keep separate from my keg.
Thoughts please...

aslong as its from carbonated bottles (so it holds the pressure like u said) itll be fine. i use them for the ''tropical punch.'' but as for non-carbonated bottles im not too sure i suppose it depends on what you put in them,

hope it helps

:hat:

I bottle most of my beer in 2l plastic bottles... I buy Sainsburys spring water (17p per bottle!) and use the water to clean out the FV etc, and fill them up with beer. The only trouble is you really need to drink all 2l over two days at most as it soon goes flat once opened.

Hi again you lovely forum ;)
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on reusing plastic water bottles. I'm sure carbonated water bottles could be used as they'd stand the pressure, would of course need to be kept in the dark.
I use tesco cheapo water as my tap water tastes awful, and I was thinking I could maybe reuse a few of the 2l bottles to keep separate from my keg.
Thoughts please...

Just a word of caution Sloth - Tesco have changed their cheap bottled water supplier and it no longer comes in pressure resistant bottles - I know as I have just bought some.

FatCol

Cheers for the warning. How can I tell if what I have is a pressure resistant one?

The old bottles are smooth sided like a coke bottle, whereas the new ones have wavy ribbed sides and you can feel how flimsy they are.

Also, Tesco Value Still water is no longer filtered mains water, but is spring water bottled at source at Chase Spring and it's still only 17p for 2L.

Asda are still doing their still water in the 2L pressure resistant bottles and it's also 17p for 2L, however, it is filtered mains water.

FatCol

Col,
I use the 500mls sparkling water bottles from Aldi once Ive drunk the water, clean and use the once for my beer tester bottles then in the recycling bin. Good bottles and still doing my bit for the environment.

We've been using the 1L sparkling flavoured water bottles (roughly 3 for a pound), they hold the pressure well and provide 2 perfect pints :razz:

Hi, if the bottom of the bottle is marked PET or the number 1 in a triangle it's pressure resistant. Also pet bottles are not uv resistant regardless of colour.

Cheers again for the replies. Without looking, I'm pretty sure it's Chase Spring bottles I have now.

Latest posts

Back